Barcelona are reportedly considering a move for Julian Draxler, who has been told that he can leave PSG this summer.
Spanish publication Don Balon have reported that Barcelona are identifying their contingency options in case their pursuit of Ousmane Dembele runs into troubled waters. The Blaugrana’s first alternative to the Frenchman is Julian Draxler, who has been made available in the transfer market by PSG.
Draxler has long been regarded as one of the most exciting young attackers in the world. The player became the second youngest player to start a Bundesliga game after he broke into the first-team setup at Schalke in 2011 at the nascent age of 18.
Since then, Draxler has gone from strength to strength, establishing himself as a key figure for each club that he has played for as well as his country. Since his move to PSG earlier this year, the Germany international has netted 10 goals in addition to providing 3 assists in 25 appearances in all competitions.
But, his time at the French capital could come to an end just seven months after he made his way to Parc des Princes. Reports emanating from France suggest that Draxler has been privately told by PSG that he is free to leave the club this summer as he does not feature in Unai Emery’s plans for the season.
Julian Draxler has been told he has no future at PSG. He signed for the club for €40m in January. [L’Equipe] pic.twitter.com/qzeck3gpoD
— Transfer Related (@TransferRelated) August 17, 2017
Indeed, with Neymar joining PSG, the German attacker looked destined to fall down the pecking order. Now available in the transfer market yet again, he could have a host of suitors vying for his signature, the first of which are Barcelona, as per Don Balon.
The La Liga heavyweights have been scrambling to find Neymar’s replacement in time before the transfer window slams shut in less than two weeks’ time. Ernesto Valverde’s current options – Gerard Deulofeu, Arda Turan and Paco Alcacer – do not inspire much confidence, due to their inconsistencies.
A deal for Ousmane Dembele is close to being struck, as confirmed by Barcelona general manager Pep Segura. But, with Dortmund playing hardball, the Blaugrana are keeping their options open. Thus, Draxler has emerged as a viable alternative for the club.
While he may not be a like-for-like replacement for Neymar, the player can still prove to be a valuable addition to Valverde’s squad, which seems to be short on goals currently. And at 23, he can be a long-term solution in attack for Barcelona.
It now remains to be seen if PSG are willing to do business with the Catalan giants, considering the acrimonious relationship that has developed between the two clubs of late, or if Draxler moves elsewhere in search of regular football this season.