Marco Reus is in contention to play some part for Borussia Dortmund, as AS Monaco visit the Westfalenstadion for the quarterfinal first leg on Tuesday.
The UEFA Champions League returns with the Last 8 stage on Tuesday when Borussia Dortmund host AS Monaco in the first leg at the Signal Iduna Park. With two of the most exciting sides in this season’s competition up against each other, here’s the all-important team news.
Dortmund boss Thomas Tuchel has a number of injury concerns on his hands ahead of the match, with as many as five first team players doubtful, in addition to two certain absentees.
Shinji Kagawa (muscular), Andre Schurrle (Achilles), Julian Weigl (thigh) and Lukasz Piszczek (back) all missed the trip to the Allianz Arena as Dortmund lost to Bayern Munich on Saturday, and remain doubtful for Tuesday’s match.
— Borussia Dortmund (@BVB) April 10, 2017
Meanwhile, Marco Reus is in contention to play his first match in more than a month after returning to first-team training having recovered from a hamstring injury. Providing the update on each doubtful player, Tuchel said that their availability is “not definite” but he is expecting certain players to return.
He said: “The situation looks a bit better, as we’re firmly expecting Julian Weigl and Shinji Kagawa to be back and Lukasz Piszczek to be fit.” Tuchel also added that Reus could come off the bench on Tuesday, if he is deemed fit enough to participate in the proceedings.
He continued: “Reus participated in team training for the first time yesterday. If we include him, then we’ll only do so if we really think he’s capable of coming off the bench.” Meanwhile, Raphael Guerreiro and Marcel Schmelzer are one booking away from being suspended, while Mario Gotze (illness) and Erik Durm (muscular) are certain absentees.
In the Monaco dugout, meanwhile, Leonardo Jardim also has two key players missing out on the trip to Dortmund on Tuesday – two absentees, whose unavailability could cause some trouble for the principality club.
— AS MONACO 🇲🇨 (@AS_Monaco) April 10, 2017
Defensive midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko is suspended for the first leg after picking up a booking in the second leg of Monaco’s Round of 16 match against Manchester City last month. In his stead, Joao Moutinho is set to be deployed as the shield to the Monaco back four.
Meanwhile, right-back Djibril Sidibe is also unavailable after being hospitalised with appendicitis over the weekend. Sidibe’s absence will force Jardim to play Fabinho on the right side of the defence, thus depriving him of his first-choice midfield duo for this crunch fixture.
Gabriel Boschilia (ankle) and Guido Carrillo (groin) are the other two certain absentees, but Radamel Falcao is all set to return to the lineup after missing the second leg of the tie against Manchester City with a hip injury.
Speaking in his pre-match press conference Jardim confirmed as such, as he said: “Radamel Falcao’s return means more quality and experience in our side. We have noticed the difference [he makes] before in the Champions League. We know we have a couple of problems with Sidibé and Bakayoko missing, but we must rely on our strength-in-depth.”