A match between Chelsea FC and Manchester City at this time of the season normally holds a lot at stake for both clubs.
However, Chelsea have nothing much left to play for except a finish in the top half of the table, so the onus will be on Manchester City to try and win the game. But to expect the hosts to roll over would be foolhardy. The players would want to make a good impression for next season’s manager Antonio Conte, who will most likely be watching the game, and so a spirited performance is definitely on the cards.
City have been in poor form of late, but a good run in the Europe means they will be in excellent spirits going into the match. Manchester City have made it to the semi finals of the Champions League for the first time in their history. But a top four finish is at stake for them, and a win in this match is a must for Manuel Pellegrini’s men if they want to ensure they compete in the tournament next season.
Possible Starting XI (4-2-3-1): Courtois; Kennedy, Ivanovic, Cahill, Azpilicueta; Mikel, Fabregas; Oscar, Loftus-Cheek, Pedro; D.Costa.
Manchester City FC
Possible Starting XI (4-2-3-1): Hart; Clichy, Mangala, Otamendi, Zabaleta; Fernando, Fernandinho; De Bruyne, Silva, Navas; Aguero.
- Chelsea have drawn six of their last seven home games in the Premier League
- The Blues won 5-1 in their last encounter with Manchester City, in the fifth round of the FA Cup, earlier this year.
- Guus Hiddink’s side have lost just one of their last 15 Premier League matches.
- Manchester City have lost both of their last two matches at Stamford Bridge.
- The Sky Blues are on a four-match unbeaten streak in all competitions.
Chelsea 1-3 Manchester City
The Blues have not been in good form this season, and with Guus Hiddink continuing his experiments in the starting XI, it is difficult to see them getting anything out of this game. In fact, a City rout looks more likely if Chelsea’s defence keeps performing as badly as they have been doing this season.
Odds (Paddy Power)
- Chelsea: 17/10
- Draw: 12/5
- Manchester City: 13/8