Title hopefuls Borussia Dortmund take on Thomas Schaaf’s Hannover side who are rooted to the bottom of the Bundesliga table at the Westfalen Stadion on Sunday.
Dortmund trail league leaders Bayern Munich by eight points, and Die Borussen cannot afford any more slip ups if they are to have a chance of thwarting Pep Guardiola in his final season in Germany. Their unbeaten run of four games in all competitions as well as Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s current form suggests Thomas Tuchel’s men should have few problems picking up three points this weekend.
Meanwhile, Hannover have lost their last six games in the Bundesliga, and with just 14 points from 20 games, they seem a certainty to drop down this season. Perhaps their biggest worry is their inability to score goals, with Schaaf’s side finding the back of the net just 19 times this season in comparison to Dortmund’s 52.
Probable starting line-up (4-3-3): Bürki; Piszczek, Papastathopoulos, Hummels (C), Schmelzer; Gündoğan, Weigl, Castro; Mkhitaryan, Aubameyang, Reus
Probable starting line-up (4-3-1-2): Zeiler (C); Sakai, Milosevic, Gülselam, Prib; Yamaguchi, Hoffman, Bech; Schmeidebach; Sobiech, Saint-Maximin
- Borussia Dortmund have scored more goals (52) than any other side in the league this season, averaging over 2.5 goals per game thus far.
- Thomas Schaaf has been defeated in his last seven trips to the Westfalenstadion, and is yet to pick up a point as Hannover manager.
- Dortmund have not lost at home in their last 13 league games (W12, D1).
- Hannover are in the worst from of any team in the Bundesliga, losing their last six matches in a row.
- Dortmund have 8 wins and a draw from their first 9 league home games this season — a joint club record
Borussia Dortmund 3 – 0 Hannover
Tuchel’s men are playing very efficiently at the moment, while Hannover are in a full-blown crisis. Dortmund have always been a prolific side at home in the Bundesliga and should once again be extremely comfortable against the bottom side in the division. A huge win is on the cards for the home side.
Borussia Dortmund win: 1.14
Hannover win: 17.00