We take a look at some of the major news stories doing the rounds regarding Premier League side Chelsea FC. 

Thierry Henry Hails Diego Costa

The Spanish international has been in stellar form this season, scoring goals in 15 Premier League appearances this term. His goals have helped Chelsea to the top of the English top flight, where they sit 3 points ahead of cross town rivals Arsenal. Speaking to Sky Sports about the Premier League’s current top scorer, Arsenal legend Thierry Henry was full of praise for Costa, labelling him the ‘best striker in the league’, ahead of Alexis Sanchez and Sergio Aguero.

Chelsea's Brazilian-born Spanish striker Diego Costa celebrates after scoring the opening goal of the English Premier League football match between Chelsea and West Bromwich Albion at Stamford Bridge in London on December 11, 2016. / AFP / Justin TALLIS / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE. No use with unauthorized audio, video, data, fixture lists, club/league logos or 'live' services. Online in-match use limited to 75 images, no video emulation. No use in betting, games or single club/league/player publications. / (Photo credit should read JUSTIN TALLIS/AFP/Getty Images)

Chelsea’s Brazilian-born Spanish striker Diego Costa celebrates after scoring the opening goal of the English Premier League football match between Chelsea and West Bromwich Albion at Stamford Bridge in London on December 11, 2016. / AFP

“Anything can happen when you have a guy like Costa up front. At the moment, he is the best striker in the league,” he said. His left -footed match winning goal against a very resilient West Brom side had Stamford Bridge on its feet. It is surely one of the contenders for goal of the season and Henry insisted that it was just Costa being himself. He said: “He had no right to score the goal he did against West Brom, it was him being him. He is in your face, always running – a pain. Next thing you know, you win two crucial games 1-0 [also Middlesbrough]. That can be the difference. You can kick the ball in any direction, and Costa will try to make something from it.”

Throughout his career, he has been burdened by injuries which have marred his seasons and Henry stressed on the importance of taking care of Costa to allow him to function at his optimum levels, saying, “They need to keep him fit. He is fitter now, there are no injury worries. Not playing in the Champions League, with the hamstring problems that he has had in the past, has been a plus. He is fresh, and when you are fresh you can think more clearly, you are calmer.”

Chelsea Monitoring Elseid Hysaj

Manchester United have been constantly linked with Hysaj and last month it was rumoured that the Red Devils were preparing a £26 million bid for the former Empoli defender, despite him having recently signed a contract extension which would see him stay at the Stadio San Paolo until 2021.

A report in the Daily Star states that Manchester United will likely face competition from Manchester City and Chelsea. Antonio Conte is reportedly monitoring the developments surrounding the Albanian International. During his three years at Juventus, the Italian would have had a first hand account of the 22-year-old’s rise to prominence and if the report is to believed, he would have likely been impressed with the young fullback.

NAPLES, ITALY - NOVEMBER 28: Elseid Hysaj of SSC Napoli in action during the Serie A match between SSC Napoli and US Sassuolo November 28, 2016 in Naples, Italy. (Photo by Francesco Pecoraro/Getty Images)

NAPLES, ITALY – NOVEMBER 28: Elseid Hysaj of SSC Napoli in action during the Serie A match between SSC Napoli and US Sassuolo November 28, 2016 in Naples, Italy. (Photo by Francesco Pecoraro/Getty Images)

He shot to prominence in the last campaign after joining Napoli for a fee of around €5 million. He made the right-back spot his own with a series of impressive performances and would go on to make 43 appearances for the Partenopei in all competitions. His superb performances for Albania at the Euros in France led to him being  linked with moves to Barcelona and Arsenal, before Napoli ultimately managed to tie him down to long term contract.

Antonio Conte has been setting his side up in 3-4-3 off late and Victor Moses has been deployed in the right wing-back position, where he has excelled. He has been one of the surprise performers this season and has established himself as an important part of this Chelsea side. However, Hysaj is a more natural defender and is highly experienced playing as a defender. He is easily one of the Serie A’s best defenders and one of the best young defenders in the world right now.

READ MORE: A LITTLE HYSAJ HISTORY

His rise to prominence has been meteoric and the maturity displayed in his game often makes it hard to believe that he is only 22. The Blues have aging personnel in defence, with Ivanovic, Terry and Cahill all on the wrong side of 30. Hysaj would serve as a superb long term option but would certainly prove to be a costly one. However, a bigger price to pay would be the exclusion of Chelsea youth product Ola Aina, who has finally managed to make a few appearances for the Blues this term.

Hysaj’s arrival would effectively end the youngster’s chances of making a place for himself in the first time and with Chelsea’s youth policy already coming under so much flak due to their inability to incorporate their academy products into the first team, it is something Conte would certainly be giving some thought before going forward.

Real Betis To Terminate Musonda Loan

DRESDEN, GERMANY - JULY 29: Fin Bartels (L) of Werder Bremen challenges Charly Musonda (R) of Real Betis during the Bundeswehr Karriere Cup Dresden 2016 match between Werder Bremen and Real Betis at DDV-Stadion on July 29, 2016 in Dresden, Germany. (Photo by Boris Streubel/Bongarts/Getty Images)

DRESDEN, GERMANY – JULY 29: Fin Bartels (L) of Werder Bremen challenges Charly Musonda (R) of Real Betis during the Bundeswehr Karriere Cup Dresden 2016 match between Werder Bremen and Real Betis at DDV-Stadion on July 29, 2016 in Dresden, Germany. (Photo by Boris Streubel/Bongarts/Getty Images)

Musonda, who was loaned out to La Liga side Real Betis in the hope that he would be able to further his development, is currently back at Cobham, undergoing rehab for an knee-injury he suffered some time ago. The 20-year-old was on his second stint at the Estadio Benito Villamarin, having spent the second half of the previous campaign there. It was a successful loan spell, where he managed to establish himself as a fan favourite over the course of his 16 appearances for the side, whilst helping them to a 10th place finish on the table.

READ MORE: CHARLY MUSONDA JR. PLAYER PROFILE: CHELSEA’S TEENAGE SENSATION MAKING WAVES IN LA LIGA

This season, recurring knee injuries have resigned him to the sidelines and he has since returned to Chelsea in a bid to recover. However, according to Spanish outlet Estadiodeportivo, the Andalusians are set to terminate Musonda’s contract. Apart of the injury, the report states that Victor Sanchez’s insistence of playing in a 5-3-2 formation is another reason why Betis wish to let go of the youngster, so that they may make more space in their squad for players better suited to the system. The report further states that his former club Anderlecht are in the running for his signature and will likely move for him when the January transfer window opens.

Leave A Comment...

*