PSG director Leonardo has lashed out at Real Madrid over their approach for Kylian Mbappe, while confirming that the striker wants to leave.
Speaking to RMC Sport, as relayed by Goal, Paris Saint-Germain sporting director Leonardo has blasted Real Madrid for the manner in which they have gone about to try and sign Kylian Mbappe.
The 22-year-old has been on the wishlist of the Spanish capital club for years now and with him now in the final year of his contract at PSG, Real Madrid are intent on capitalising. To that end, they launched an offer of €160 million for Mbappe, which PSG swiftly rejected, despite the risk of losing him for free next year.
Indeed, Leonardo confirmed that PSG had turned down Real Madrid’s offer, while also revealing that Mbappe had rejected two contract offers from the club. The PSG chief was adamant if Mbappe were to leave Parc des Princes this summer it will be on their terms and not Real Madrid’s.
“Kylian Mbappe wants to leave, that seems clear. If Real Madrid are making an offer, that seems clear… Me, I am giving a position, that, I think, is clear for everyone. We cannot, the week before the end of the window, change our plans. If he wants to leave, we will not hold him back, but on our terms,” he said.
PSG sporting director Leonardo sets Mbappe's minimum price at around €180 million 👀
The ball is in Real Madrid's court now ⏳ pic.twitter.com/vkbWKNwTuL
— International Champions Cup (@IntChampionsCup) August 25, 2021
“Our position has always been to keep Kylian, to extend his contract, that has always been our aim and that is still the case. We made two significant offers to Kylian: one at the level of the top players in our squad two months ago and one above that of those players very recently. We want to prove to him that he is an important player, at the centre of our project, but not above the project.”
Leonardo then went on to slam Real Madrid over how they had approached the deal, claiming that their methods had been illegal. “In terms of our position on Real, it seems like a strategy to try to get a no from us, to show that they have tried everything and to wait for a year to get him for free. For the last 2 years, Real Madrid have been behaving like this, it is not correct, illegal even, because they contacted the player.
“It is unacceptable for us, because it is not correct. It is proof of the strategy: an offer comes one year before the end of his contract and seven days before the end of the window. They want us to reject it to show to Kylian that they tried everything and to start negotiating for next year,” he added.
As for the offer they had received, Leonardo said, “Yes, we said no verbally. But we will not hold anyone back. If someone wants to leave and our conditions are met, we will see. I cannot confirm the numbers [of €160m], but it is around that. It is less than what we paid for him. But it is above all the way in which Real Madrid have gone about it that we do not like.”
Real Madrid are in a difficult position financially. So, it will certainly be intriguing to see if they come up with an improved offer before the window closes.