Bayern Munich director Hasan Salihamidzic has claimed that there is no truth to reports of the Bavarian giants’ interest in Cristiano Ronaldo.
Speaking to Sky Germany, Bayern Munich sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic has ruled out a summer move for Manchester United talisman and Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo.
Ronaldo is one year into his second spell at Manchester United, having returned to his old stomping ground last summer from Juventus. While he enjoyed a strong season on a personal level, finishing with 24 goals, the Red Devils endured a torrid campaign, failing to qualify for the UEFA Champions League.
It means that Ronaldo will not be playing in Europe’s premier competition for the first time in 20 years, which has led to speculations over his future at Old Trafford. While it was later reported that the 37-year-old had decided to stay put at Manchester United, rumours about an exit have cropped up again.
It has been claimed that Ronaldo has grown frustrated by Manchester United’s lack of transfer activity so far this summer, while their rivals have significantly strengthened. The former Real Madrid superstar is thus believed to be considering his future at the Theatre of Dreams.
Bayern director Hasan Salihamidžić denies Cristiano Ronaldo rumours to SkyDe: “Cristiano Ronaldo is a top player with an outstanding career. However, stories on potential deal with Bayern are NOT true”, tells @Plettigoal. 🚨⛔️ #FCBayern
“These rumours have no truth”, he said. pic.twitter.com/g9xWOe3dFd
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) June 24, 2022
And, Bayern Munich had been touted as a potential destination for Ronaldo. The Bavarian giants are in the market for a replacement for Robert Lewandowski, who wants to join Barcelona. And the 37-year-old Manchester United maverick was reported to have emerged as a target for the Bundesliga champions.
However, director Hasan Salihamidzic has put those speculations to bed, stating that Die Roten are not interested in signing Ronaldo this summer. “Cristiano Ronaldo is a top player with an outstanding career. However, the rumour that is circulating is a rumour that has no truth in it,” the Bayern Munich transfer chief said.
Despite Salihamidzic’s claims Sky Germany’s Florian Plettenberg claims that Ronaldo was offered to Bayern Munich by his agent Jorge Mendes. However, the record German title winners are banking on new signing Sadio Mane, who recently arrived from Liverpool, to replace Lewandowski if the Poland captain does indeed leave Allianz Arena and move to Barcelona this summer.