Frank Lampard announced his retirement recently and revealed that he was studying for his coaching badges. Fellow Legend Didier Drogba, recently rejected a move to Brazil and has been linked with a return to Chelsea.
In his pre-match press conference, Swansea boss Paul Clement revealed how he tried to sign the legendary Englishman in the January transfer window. Lampard was linked with a return to Swansea back in December, after ending his stay with MLS side New York City FC.
Lampard announced his retirement yesterday, rejecting a number of ‘exciting offers’ that came his way to start the next phase in his career. Fans and players alike took to social media to pay tribute to one of the greatest players to ever play the game.
Clement said: “I would have liked to have him here. I would be lying if I said I didn’t try, but I think he was already moving towards the decision he has made today. He is one of the most outstanding goalscoring midfielders world football has seen.”
Clement, 45, had spent 7 years at Cobham over the course of 2 different spells. As youth academy coach, senior team coach and later as an assistant manager to Carlo Ancelotti and he worked closely with Lampard during their historic double winning season in 2009/10.
Lampard made his senior debut whilst at Swansea back in 1995 when he was sent there on loan by West Ham as a 17-year-old. He made 9 appearances for the Swans and got his first professional goal with the club, before being later recalled by West Ham in January 1996.
“We had a chat and I think he appreciated the call, but I am not saying it got close to happening,” Clement said. “He did say that he really enjoyed the time he spent here as a youngster. It was a long time ago, but he was fond of the club and the people who were here. It was part of his education.”
While he has previously stated that he would like to return to Chelsea in some capacity at the end of his career, he confirmed in his statement that he was studying for his coaching badges and it is likely that we may get to see Lampard on the touchline alongside Antonio Conte.
And one player who might very well be joining the 38-year-old is fellow Chelsea legend, Didier Drogba. Sky Sports revealed that the Ivorian rejected a move to Brazilian giants Corinthians, after having talks with the club’s president, Roberto de Andrade.
“There have been a lot of rumours linking me to a move to Corinthians but it was important for me to speak with Mr Roberto de Andrade, the President of the team, which I did today,” he revealed. “I explained to him that while I am very honoured at their interest in me joining the club, it does not feel like the right move for me at this time.”
According to Globesporte, Drogba’s rejection of Corinthians may be due to the possibility of him returning to Chelsea. The report states that during discussions with Andrade, he said that he may hang up his boots look to join the Chelsea backroom staff.
Andrade said that the former Montreal striker said that he had other projects he wanted to focus on and would be following a different path.
He said: “We went back to talking last week with numbers and values, he was going to consult his family because he had other projects. Yesterday (last Tuesday) we spoke on the phone and he told me that he was going to follow a path other than Brazil, but that he was pleased by the invitation.”