Asmir Begovic has confirmed that he has spoken to manager Antonio Conte about leaving Chelsea

According to the Mirror, Begovic is keen on a move as he wants to play regular football as opposed to earning wages on Chelsea’s bench. Begovic has been heavily linked with Bournemouth and Antonio Conte confirmed that Chelsea were considering offers for the goalkeeper.

However, it was later reported that Begovic’s move had been put on hold as Chelsea looked for suitable replacements but the keeper has now confirmed that he has made it clear to Antonio Conte that he wants to leave Chelsea.

“I have spoken with the boss – we are quite open about it, he knows I am desperate to play, and that’s all it is really. If he can make it happen for me he will. That is something that is going to be sorted out in the next couple of days,” he said, according to the Mirror.

“I’m 29 – 30 in the summer – and feel fantastic and in great shape. It would be a waste not to play and show people what I can do. I hope that the team lifts the title and and maybe I will be part of that, but it is difficult when you don’t play for a certain amount of time. That overrides everything, your football. I like to play and I came here to challenge myself.”

VIENNA, AUSTRIA - JULY 16: Asmir Begovic of Chelsea is seen before an friendly match between SK Rapid Vienna and Chelsea F.C. at Allianz Stadion on July 16, 2016 in Vienna, Austria. (Photo by Matej Divizna/Getty Images)

Intent on leaving (Photo by Matej Divizna/Getty Images)

Begovic signed from Stoke City in July 2015 on a four-year deal for a fee of £8 million, but has failed to displace Thibaut Courtois, who is the undisputed first-choice goalkeeper at Chelsea. The Bosnian has only managed 5 appearances this season, all of which have come in cup competition. Begovic has managed one clean sheet in those appearances.

Eduardo – who was signed at the beginning of this season – will serve as principal back-up to Thibaut Courtois if Begovic leaves. Eduardo has not made a single appearance for Chelsea thus far, but Antonio Conte refused to be drawn upon whether or not it would be a big risk having to play him in case of an emergency.

The Portuguese international has been capped 36 times, but did not feature in the UEFA Euro 2016, although he did pick up a winners medal as Portugal went on to win the tournament. Conte clearly feels he needs more options however, and Chelsea have been linked with a move for several goalkeepers over the last week.

It looks increasingly likely that Celtic’s Craig Gordon will join Antonio Conte’s side, although Chelsea are also said to be looking at signing Salvatore Sirigu should Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers succeed in holding onto the Scot.

Leave A Comment...

*