The trimming down of the Manchester United squad has begun, with the club accepting Everton’s bid for French midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin.
Sky Sports have reported that Manchester United have accepted a £22 million bid from Everton for Schneiderlin. Manager Jose Mourinho confirmed that the deal was almost done after United’s 2-0 win over Hull City in the League Cup semi-final on Tuesday.
“Before the match Mr Woodward told me ‘almost there’, so I have ‘almost there’,” Mourinho said, according to the Guardian.
“So I’m sad, I’m happy. I’m sad because I like him and he could be an option for us in a long season.
“I’m happy because this is what he wants – he wants to play every game, to be an important player in the team. So if this is what he wants, I am happy for a very good professional, somebody I can only say good things about.”
The report adds that Everton are hoping the deal will be completed in the next 48 hours, with both parties having agreed on the transfer fee.
This is the Toffees second bid for the player after they saw their £19 million bid for Schneiderlin rejected earlier this month. West Bromwich Albion had also made a bid for the Frenchman, but it looks like the Baggies will have to look elsewhere for midfield reinforcements.
Morgan Schneiderlin was one of the best defensive midfielders in the Premier League with Southampton, but he has been on the decline since joining Manchester United in the summer of 2015.
The Frenchman didn’t enjoy a very good debut season, with his performances even resulting in omission from the France national squad for Euro 2016. Things have only gotten worse for Schneiderlin since the arrival of new manager Jose Mourinho this past summer.
Schneiderlin is yet to start a Premier League game under Mourinho, having played only 11 minutes of Premier League football so far this season. His only three starts this season have come in the Europa League (2) and the League Cup (1) against oppositions like Feyenoord, Fenerbahce and Northampton.
The Frenchman will likely slot straight into the Everton starting XI once the deal is completed. Toffees manager Ronald Koeman has worked with the 27-year-old at Southampton, and will be hoping to revive the defensive midfielder, who used to be a key player for the Saints.