Inter Milan are planning a move for John Obi Mikel and Morgan Schneiderlin, according to reports

Inter have been struggling defensively this season and their poor start to the campaign has already ended their chances of a title challenge this early in the season. They sit at 9th place, 15 points behind league leaders Juventus.

Manager Frank de Boer was sacked after just 85 days in charge after their terrible start to the campaign and Inter are now looking to add quality players to the side in January.

Stefano Pioli took over from the sacked Frank de Boer in November, but has so far failed to reverse the club’s fortunes on the pitch. This has led to Inter’s new Chinese investors Suning Holdings Group feeling a need to invest more money on the team, probably in the hopes that Inter can still try and qualify for the Champions League.

According to Gazetta Dello Sport, Pioli thinks midfield is his top priority and has earmarked two players from the English Premier League as key targets. The report states that Inter will try and land Manchester United’s Morgan Schneiderlin and Chelsea’s John Obi Mikel in January.

Mikel is expected to leave Chelsea in January in any case after failing to make a single appearance under new manager Antonio Conte. He has been linked with a reunion with former boss Jose Mourinho at Old Trafford and is also said to be considering offers from China.

Should Inter decide to sign the Nigerian international, they would not have to pay too much and could even get the player on a free as his contract expires in the summer of 2017. Chelsea will not stand in the way of a transfer and this is a deal that could easily go through.

Chelsea's Nigerian midfielder John Obi Mikel gestures during the English Premier League football match between Crystal Palace and Chelsea at Selhurst Park in south London on January 3, 2016. AFP PHOTO / ADRIAN DENNIS RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE. NO USE WITH UNAUTHORIZED AUDIO, VIDEO, DATA, FIXTURE LISTS, CLUB/LEAGUE LOGOS OR 'LIVE' SERVICES. ONLINE IN-MATCH USE LIMITED TO 75 IMAGES, NO VIDEO EMULATION. NO USE IN BETTING, GAMES OR SINGLE CLUB/LEAGUE/PLAYER PUBLICATIONS. / AFP / ADRIAN DENNIS (Photo credit should read ADRIAN DENNIS/AFP/Getty Images)

Nearing the end of his Chelsea spell : Mikel has failed to make a single appearance under manager Antonio Conte (Picture Courtesy ADRIAN DENNIS/AFP/Getty Images)

Morgan Schneiderlin has also been deemed surplus to requirements at Chelsea and has only manged 8 appearances this season, 5 of which have come as a substitute. Schneiderlin has also been linked with moves to Everton and West Bromwich Albion but should Inter act on their interest he will definitely be interested in joining them.

Ronald Koeman is said to be keen re-signing Schneiderlin – who was a key part of his side at Southampton. However, Inter are a far more attractive prospect. Schneiderlin will also likely come on the cheap and this should encourage Inter if they decide to put in a bid.

Gazzetta also add that Genoa defensive midfielder Tomas Rincon, Fiorentina’s Milan Badelj and Lassana Diarra of Marseille are also on Pioli’s radar.

Leave A Comment...

*