Manchester City have finally confirmed the capture of England international John Stones from Everton after being linked with the player throughout the summer.
Manchester City have announced the signing of 22-year-old central defender John Stones from Everton. The club’s website revealed that the England international has signed a six-year-deal with the club and will wear the no.24 jersey for the Citizens this season. John Stones becomes City’s eighth signing of the window as Pep Guardiola begins to shape his squad for his debut season in the Premier League.
John Stones also had some positive words to say about his time at Everton and thanked the Toffees’ fans, but said that he was now focused on the journey ahead with Manchester City. The 22-year-old told Manchester City’s official website: “I’m absolutely delighted to sign for City and now the deal’s done I’m looking forward to the next stage in my career. It’s an ambitious club with a great manager.
“I know it will be tough getting a place in this team but I’m determined to become the best player I can be and help us to success.”
City manager Pep Guardiola also had words of praise of his new signing. The Spaniard said, “I like the way he plays the game and I’m looking forward to welcoming him into the squad.”
— Manchester City (@ManCity) August 9, 2016
The announcement came hours after UEFA sensationally revealed that Manchester City had included the youngster in the squad list submitted for their two-legged Champions League play-off match against Steaua Bucharest.
According to Sky Sports, Manchester City will pay an initial fee of £47.5m for Stones, but the figure could rise to £50m including add-ons. Pep Guardiola been active in the transfer market and seem to focusing on building a young squad that can serve the club for many seasons to come.
The former Barcelona manager will be happy with his club’s urgency in the transfer market to get the deals done before the start of the season and will hope to develop young stars like John Stones into world beaters.
Unhappy Jason Denayer considering move away from Etihad
Jason Denayer is reportedly concerned at the lack of opportunities given by the club and fears that he won’t get much game time under new manager Pep Guardiola. According to Manchester Evening News, the defender is considering the prospect of leaving Manchester City in search of first-team football.
The Belgian spent last season on loan at Galatasaray and their manager Olde Riekering admitted last week that he would like to have the player back in Istanbul. However, he also conceded that, at this point, no contact has been made with City.
Manchester Evening News believe that the tipping point was the exclusion of the 21-year-old from the starting lineup against Arsenal, where Pep Guardiola chose to start with the pairing of midfielder Fernando and full-back Aleksandar Kolarov despite the availability of the Belgium international. Even 18-year-old Nigerian international Tosin Adarabioyo was brought on to the pitch ahead of Denayer. The signing of John Stones from Everton is sure to push Denayer further down the pecking order.
Arsenal were linked with a move for Denayer earlier in the summer, but have since pursued other targets. Manchester City’s young centre-half will now weigh his options before the window closes, with the main focus being on securing regular first-team football.