Manchester City host Dynamo Kiev as they look to reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League for the first time in their history. A two-goal advantage ensures that the Citizens go into the fixture as the firm favourites against the Ukrainian outfit.
A goalless draw against Norwich City on Saturday left Manchester City fourth in the league, and the Citizens are now 12 points behind leaders Leicester City with just 9 games left to go in the season. Manuel Pellegrini will be aware that a good showing in the Champions League this season will go a long way in establishing his credentials in Europe, especially since the Chilean manager will be out of a job this summer after a three-year spell with City.
Despite the Manchester derby next Sunday, City cannot afford to take their eyes off the prize and will be desperate to avoid an upset in the Champions League after winning the first leg 3-1 against Dynamo Kiev.
On the scoresheet in the first leg of the round of 16 tie, Yaya Toure is doubtful for the fixture due to a heel injury. Samir Nasri, Kevin De Bruyne, and Fabian Delph remain unavailable for the match.
Probable Starting XI (4-2-3-1): Hart; Zabaleta, Kompany (C), Otamendi, Clichy; Fernando, Fernandinho; Sterling, Navas, Silva; Aguero
Dynamo Kiev are currently without any injury concerns.
Probable Starting XI (4-5-1): Shovkovsky (C); Danilo Silva, Khacheridi, Dragovic, Antunes; Rybalka, Garmash, Yarmolenko, Buyalsky, Gusev; Júnior Moraes
- Manchester City have won 3 of their last 8 fixtures in all competitions.
- Manchester City have never reached the quarterfinals of the Champions League.
- The Citizens have only won 4 of their last 10 Premier League fixtures.
- Dynamo Kiev have the best defensive record in the Ukrainian Premier League, having only conceded 7 goals in 18 fixtures.
- Pellegrini’s men have conceded 15 goals in their last 10 fixtures (all competitions), while scoring only 16.
Manchester City 2-1 Dynamo Kiev
Manchester City should be able to win the second leg of the round of 16 tie, but will come up against a spirited Dynamo Kiev side that is unlikely to be subdued easily.
Betting Odds (bet365)
Manchester City – 4/7
Draw – 10/3
Dynamo Kiev – 11/2