Manchester United have registered emphatic wins in their previous two fixtures and will be looking to gain three important points against Watford at Old Trafford.
Louis van Gaal has been impressed with the form and energy displayed by his squad in recent games, even though a majority of his first-team players are out injured. The Red Devils will be looking to repeat their away victory at Watford when they take on the Hornets on Wednesday, with only seven points separating the two teams on the Premier League table.
Manchester United are currently 5th in the league, three points behind cross-city rivals Manchester City and 12 points behind leaders Leicester City, with 11 games still to be played this season.
Possible Starting XI (4-2-3-1): De Gea; Rojo, Blind, Smalling, Darmian; Herrera, Schneiderlin; Memphis, Mata, Lingard; Rashford
Possible Starting XI (4-4-2): Gomes; Nyom, Cathcart, Britos, Ake; Behrami, Capoue, Watson, Amrabat; Deeney, Ighalo.
- Watford have not won an away league match at Old Trafford in their last eight attempts.
- 18-year-old Marcus Rashford has scored four goals in his first two senior games for Manchester United from just five shots on target.
- Louis van Gaal has used more players than any other manager this season — 33.
- Watford’s only victory at Old Trafford was in a League Cup match in 1978; the Hornets won 2-1.
- Manchester United are the only side to have recorded more stalemates (5) than Watford (4) this season.
Manchester United 2-0 Watford
Manchester United have scored six of their 18 home goals this season in their last two outings at Old Trafford. They will be looking to keep their run of good form going, and the victory over Arsenal on Sunday would undoubtedly have been a big morale-boost for Van Gaal’s men.
A home win is on the cards for United and rising star Marcus Rashford could well grab his fifth goal of the season.
Odds (William Hill)
Manchester United: 1.67