Liverpool host Capital One Cup conquerors Manchester City at Anfield on Wednesday, just three days after losing to Manuel Pellegrini’s men at Wembley in a heart-breaking penalty shoot-out.
Jürgen Klopp’s men will look to exact quick revenge for Sunday’s League Cup final defeat, and although the Reds are unlikely to finish in the Premier League top four, they could have a major say in determining the fate of the teams above them on the table.
One of those teams is Manchester City, who have lost their last two games in the league, and seem to be drifting away from the top of the table. Manuel Pellegrini will know that his team needs to put together a run of positive results in order to stay in the title race, and the Citizens will look to take advantage of Leicester City’s slip up at home on Tuesday.
Possible starting XI (4-3-3): Mignolet; Clyne, Lovren, Sakho (C), Flanagan; Can, Allen, Coutinho; Firmino, Lallana, Origi
Possible starting XI (4-2-3-1): Hart; Sagna, Kompany (C), Otamendi, Kolarov; Fernando, Fernandinho; Sterling, Silva, Navas; Agüero
- Manchester City have failed to win in their last 12 visits to Anfield (D4, L8)
- Liverpool are yet to register a win in three league games at Anfield in 2016, losing against Manchester United and being held to draws by Arsenal and Sunderland
- Manchester City have kept the most clean sheets away from home in the Premier League in 2015-16 (7)
- Liverpool attacking midfielder Philippe Coutinho will make his 100th appearance for the club if selected
- Sergio Agüero is yet to score a Premier League goal at Anfield
Liverpool 2 – 1 Manchester City
Liverpool will be keen to avenge their cup final loss, and will no doubt be buoyed by the Anfield support as well as the return of Dejan Lovren in the defence. Although Manchester City have the quality to get a win, Pellegrini’s side have been unconvincing of late in the league, and the Reds are likely to put a major dent in their title hopes on Wednesday.
Manchester City: 2.75