Sitting in 16th place in La Liga, Sporting de Gijon host league leaders Barcelona in what happens to be an important fixture for both sides. Sporting Gijon are in a better position than the rest of the teams around them on the La Liga table as they are yet to play an extra game. Unfortunately though, that one match is against FC Barcelona where a big defeat could well be on the cards. However, a positive result would go a long way in hauling them out of the vicinity of the relegation zone.
On the other hand, Barcelona would be looking to get maximum points from this game in order to give themselves a six-point lead at the top of the table before resuming their Champions League campaign next week.
Possible Starting XI (4-2-3-1): Cuellar; Lopez, Mere, Hernandez, Lora; Mascarell, Cases; Menendez, Halilovic, Perez; Guerrero.
Possible Starting XI (4-3-3): Bravo; Alba, Pique, Mascherano, Vidal; Turan, Busquets, Rakitic; Neymar, Suarez, Messi.
- Sporting Gijon have scored 10 goals in their last five matches in all competitions.
- FC Barcelona on the other hand, have netted 18 times in their last five matches in all competitions.
- On average, Sporting Gijon have conceded less that 2.5 goals in their last three home encounters against Barcelona.
- Sporting Gijon (72) play more long passes per game that Barcelona (60).
- Seven out of their last eight matches against Sporting Gijon have been won by FC Barcelona.
Sporting Gijon 1-3 FC Barcelona
While FC Barcelona seek to extend their lead on top of the table, Sporting Gijon would be looking to get some points from this game since they are playing at home. However, the Catalans are on fine form at the moment and the task might just prove to be a bit too difficult for the Rojiblancos.
Odds (Paddy Power)
Sporting Gijon: 20/1
FC Barcelona: 1/8