Pep Guardiola’s Bayern Munich travel to the WWK Arena to take on Augsburg in the Bavarian derby on Sunday, leading the Bundesliga table by a comfortable eight points.
A goalless draw last weekend against Bayer Leverkusen would have frustrated Bayern manager Pep Guardiola, and the Spaniard will look for a response on Sunday as he looks to close out the league as soon as possible in order to shift focus to the UEFA Champions League — a competition he is yet to win with the Bavarian giants.
Meanwhile, Markus Weinzierl’s Augsburg side are winless following the resumption of domestic league action in January, having been held to draws against Hertha Berlin and Eintracht Frankfurt, before falling to defeat against newly promoted Ingolstadt in their last game.
Probable starting line-up (4-2-3-1): Hitz; Verhaegh (C), Jeong-Ho Hong, Klavan, Stafylidis; Ja-Cheol Koo, Kohr; Esswein, Dong-Won Ji, Caiuby; Bobadilla
Probable starting line-up (4-5-1): Neuer; Lahm (C), Kimmich, Badstuber, Alaba; Vidal, Robben, Douglas Costa, Müller, Coman; Lewandowski
- Augsburg are one of only two teams in the Bundesliga to beat Pep Guardiola’s Bayern Munich more than once.
- Bayern Munich have kept a clean sheet in more than half their games in the Bundesliga this season, conceding just 0.57 goals on average.
- Augsburg have been poor at home this season, but have taken 5 points from their last 3 games — more than their seven previous home games combined
- Robert Lewandowski has more goals against Augsburg than any other team in the Bundesliga at present (9).
- Augsburg have yet to win in 2016, and have scored only 1 goal in their last three games — a joint low with Hoffenheim and Hannover
Augsburg 0 – 2 Bayern Munich
Bayern Munich are comfortably the better side in the league at the moment, and with Lewandowski, Robben and Müller all in good nick, scoring goals this Sunday should not be an issue. Augsburg are struggling in 14th place and have key midfielder Daniel Baier unavailable for the game. They will need a miracle to beat Guardiola’s men. An away win is on the cards in this Bavarian derby.
Augsburg win: 12.00
Bayern Munich win: 1.25