Chelsea FC take on Everton at Stamford Bridge on Saturday, looking to make up for a disappointing result against West Bromwich Albion on Wednesday
Amazingly, Guus Hiddink has lost only a solitary Premier League fixture in his time as interim manager of the club, but a more sobering fact is that Blues are yet to win a league game at home under the Dutchman since his return to Stamford Bridge.
Roberto Martínez will be confident of a good performance from his side, given the Toffees’ away form has generally been better than their home form this season; Everton have lost just once away from home (a 2-1 defeat to Arsenal FC) this season in the Premier League.
The home side will be without Eden Hazard, but have no fresh injuries following the 2-2 draw against West Brom. Everton are expected to be without Tom Cleverley, Seamus Coleman and James McCarthy, while Steven Naismith is a doubt.
Probable starting lineup (4-2-3-1): Courtois; Ivanović, Zouma, Terry (C), Azpilicueta; Mikel, Fàbregas; Pedro, Oscar, Willian; Diego Costa
Probable starting lineup (4-2-3-1): Howard; Stones, Jagielka (C), Funes Mori, Baines; Bešić, Barry; Osman, Barkley, Deulofeu; Lukaku
- Chelsea FC have not lost to Everton in the last 20 meetings between the two sides at Stamford Bridge (W11, D9).
- Everton have lost just 1 game away from home (2-1 v Arsenal FC), as opposed to 4 at Goodison Park this season in the Premier League.
- Chelsea FC have dropped 12 points from winning positions this season — more than any other side with the exceptions of AFC Bournemouth and Newcastle United.
- Everton manager Roberto Martínez has yet to get a single point as opposition coach at Stamford Bridge.
- Chelsea FC have still lost one 1 game in the Premier League with Guus Hiddink as manager.
Chelsea FC 2 – 1 Everton
The Blues will be looking to make up for the disappointment of conceding a late equaliser against West Brom in their previous game, while the Toffees are nursing some key injuries in midfield and are coming off the back of a difficult fixture against Manchester City at the Etihad. A close-fought home win is on the cards in this game.
Betting odds (bet365)
Chelsea FC — 5/6
Draw — 11/4
Everton — 15/4