Barcelona attacker Pedro has been subject to intense speculation and reports in the Catalan media suggested that the player had chosen Chelsea to be his next destination after talking to Jose Mourinho.
However, the player has now gone record to deny these reports and insisted he had not spoken to the former Real Madrid manager whilst agreeing to his Barcelona future being uncertain. He also confirmed that his buy-out clause had been lowered to facilitate a move away from the Spanish giants.
“I did not talk to Mourinho,” Pedro told reporters on Monday. “That would have been disrespectful to Barcelona.
“It is true that it was agreed to lower the buy-out clause and it is also true that there are offers.
“It is a difficult situation. You want more minutes, more options, to be at the forefront of things but things are getting more difficult for me.
“It’s a dream playing for Barcelona. I have won many titles and this fills me with satisfaction and joy, but you have to have the ambition to keep improving and play regularly.
“I wish I could stay at Barca but it is a very demanding club. It’s hard at the top level, so we’ll see what happens.
“But obviously one is happier when one can play.”
The arrival of Luis Suarez meant Pedro, who was once an indispensable part of the team, was largely receded to the bench and contributed to his side’s treble marginally.
The player has 318 appearances for Barcelona, and has scored a remarkable 98 goals for the side in the process.
The 27 year-old’s talent and ability is undeniable and the winger, who has also been linked to Arsenal and Liverpool has the ability of fitting in at any top club. For Mourinho, he would be a very astute signing as the manager aspires for a Champions League win in his third season (of his second spell) with the club.
Luis Enrique has repeatedly said that he views Pedro as a key player of his squad, and wants him to remain at the Camp Nou next season, but with him certainly being a squad player now, perhaps it is time for him to begin afresh eleswhere.