Chelsea FC have endured a tough start to the season, winning just one of their four Premier League games so far, and now face a tricky trip to the north to face Roberto Martinez’s Everton
Jos Mourinho was in bullish mood at his pre-match press conference on Friday ahead of the Blues’ clash against Everton at Goodison Park, insisting that his team had the belief to bounce back from their disappointing start to the season, and that they were still in the title race.
The Portuguese also revealed that new signing Papy Djilobodji was not his choice, confirming the suspicion that the Senegalese centre-back was a ‘club signing’. However, Mourinho insisted that he had complete faith in the unnamed person (believed to be technical director Michael Emenalo) who made the decision to sign the 26-year-old centre-back.
Mourinho insists his side have the strength and belief to make a comeback
The Blues have had a season to forget so far, crashing to two defeats already this season — losing to Manchester City at the Etihad stadium, as well as to Crystal Palace at Stamford Bridge in their last Premier League outing. However, Mourinho believes none of the score-lines thus far this season have done justice to the performances put in by Chelsea FC.
Addressing his pre-match press-conference, the 52-year-old is quoted by the official club website as saying: “We are in a title race. We need points. Every game is difficult, and Everton are no different. We go with the intention to win the match but with lots of respect for a quality opponent.
“In every match we played better than the result [we got]. Even against West Brom where we won, the 3-2 victory makes it look like a very tight match and it wasna t – the result should have been completely different. I say the same for the defeats to Man City and Palace, and for the draw against Swansea.
“The circumstances of the match gave us results worse than the performance, so I am positive. We are strong, we are together. I believe in the players, and they believe in me.”
Mourinho confesses Djilobodji was not his choice
Asked about new Ligue 1 import Papy Djilobodji, Mourinho was surprisingly candid in his response, revealing that it was not his decision to sign the 26-year-old Senegalese centre-back.
The Blues’ boss is quoted by England’s Mail Online as saying, “It was not my choice. It was the choice of someone I trust completely, which is the same. I don’t know every player. My job doesn’t allow me to travel and spend hours watching players.
“Under certain circumstances, there are moments when you have to trust or not the people you work with. In my case, I trust because the person who told me Djilobodji can be a good squad player was the same person who told me Kurt Zouma can be a fantastic player for us. Obviously I trust him.”