The Brazilian international has been linked with a move back to his old club Atl tico Madrid throughout the summer window, and Chelsea FC manager Jos Mourinho has now confirmed that that transfer is in the offing
Jos Mourinho has not been willing to divulge much information in terms of the Blues’ transfer targets this summer, and has insisted that the club intend to show loyalty to the squad that won the Premier League last season.
The Blues’ boss did, however, emphasise that the transfer window was still open and that Chelsea FC would need to be ready to react if they did get an offer for a player that would be suitable to all parties. That, seemingly, is the case with 29-year-old left-back Lu s.
Mourinho confirms the club will sell Filipe Lu s
Speaking to the media in his press conference upon arrival in New York, Chelsea FC manager Jos Mourinho confirmed that Filipe Lu s will depart the club after just one season at Stamford Bridge.
Mourinho said (via Goal UK): “In this moment we need a left-back because I think we are selling Filipe Lu s now or Wednesday, but I think we will sell Filipe Lu s . We need to go the market, we need to find a club that accepts a bid until August 31, and we are going for a left-back. In other positions we have no space.”
Jose says we need a left-back because it looks like we will be selling Filipe Luis in the very near future. #CFCTour
a Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) July 21, 2015
The move appears to have been in the pipeline for a while, with Atl tico Madrid present Enrique Cerezo confirming earlier in the week that negotiations were ongoing between the two clubs for the Brazilian international. He was quoted by the Spanish media as saying (via Sky Sports): “There are negotiations in place but I don’t know how fruitful they will be. Filipe Luis is a magnificent player.
“We would be delighted if he comes back and I think that in the end, we will find a solution.” The fee is reportedly close to a 16 million, with the defender likely to return to Spain after his extended holidays following the Copa Am rica tournament in Chile.
Mourinho already has left-back replacement lined up
The fact that Mourinho publicly confirmed Lu s’ departure indicates that a formal announcement is not far away, and also suggests that Chelsea FC are close to wrapping up a deal for a replacement at left-back.
The Blues have been heavily linked with FC Augsburg defender Abdul Baba Rahman throughout the summer, and it appears as though a deal for the Ghana international is not far away. The 21-year-old has reportedly been identified by Mourinho as someone that could provide competition to Spaniard C sar Azpilicueta for the left-back spot .
With Chelsea kicking-off their pre-season campaign with a friendly against the New York Red Bulls on Wednesday night, Mourinho will be hoping to wrap up the transfers and get Baba Rahman on board as soon as possible to prepare for the defence of the Blues’ Premier League crown.