Brendan Rodgers has been busy in the transfer market, this summer, and his work seems nowhere near over, as he is reportedly ready to make a second bid for Real Madrid midfielder Asier Illarramendi.
After a brilliant 2013/14 campaign, when they finished second on the Premier League table, the Merseysiders had fallen flat, with the departure of Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez.
The departure of former captain and club icon Steven Gerrard to Major League Soccer (MLS) does not seem to have helped their cause in midfield either. Thus, requiring more from their midfield, manager Rodgers seems to be pursuing Real holding midfielder Illarramendi.
The Reds had earlier gone for the Spaniard with a A?10 million bid, which was turned by the bosses at the Santiago Bernabeu. However, according to the Daily Mirror, Rodgers is said to be preparing an improved A?15 million pound offer.
Illarramendi has had only 10 starts in the La Liga, last season, and is said to be a surplus to requirements, to former Liverpool and current Real boss Rafa Beniteza s plans. With a tackle and an interception in around every 30 minutes, Rodgers would be looking to add some strength to his midfield, with the signing of Illarramendi.
However, it is believed that Illarramendi has given himself till July 10, to decide his future, as that is when Real Madrid start their pre-season training.
The Reds are also said to be after the signature of Sweden U-21 international Ludwig Augustinsson, from FC Kobenhavn. Full-back Augustinsson has most recently been in the news for calling the England U-21 team a overrateda .
Augustinsson currently has around four years left on his contract with Kobenhavn, and signed for the team in January, from IFK Goteborg, for around A?1 million.
As such, it would be interesting to see how these signings fit into Brendan Rodgersa unique setup, at Liverpool, as he tries to bring the lost glory back to Anfield.