Liverpool FC are lining up a A?15m bid for Asier Illarramendi, according to reports in the Daily Star.

The Real Madrid midfielder is up for sale and ready to pounce on the player’s availability as they look to regroup for next season after the underwhelming season they have endured thus far.

The report says: “The Anfield side have been chasing Illarramendi for months, only to be told he is not for sale.

But Reala s position has changed since their shock exit from the Champions League at the hands of Juventus on Wednesday night.

Liverpool have been alerted to the news and will prepare to go in for the defensive midfielder, 25, once again.”

The Merseysiders were linked with a summer move for the player in February, according to Spanish newspaper El Confidencial. The paper claimed that Liverpool were going consult former Reds and Madrid player Xabi Alonso before lodging a bid for the player.

The highly rated player started his career at Real Sociedad before moving to Real Madrid in the summer of 2013. He signed a six-year contract with Los Blancos for a fee of a 32.2 million, the highest amount paid by the club for a Spanish player. His game has been compared to Xabi Alonsoa s, due to both the players having a similar passing style, ability to strongly shield the defence along with that of threading impressive through balls for the attackers, linking up play with impressive finesse.

Illarramendi would be a great addition to the team as Liverpool desperately need a quality defensive midfielder. Lucas had been in good form before his injury struck but the Reds need an upgrade on the position and the fact that Steven Gerrard is leaving makes the need to have a quality midfielder to fill that void even more crucial.