Israil Gurung starred for FC Pune City as they romped to a 3-1 victory over Mumbai City FC in the third Maha Derby of the Indian Super League at the Balewadi Complex, Pune.

Israil set-up two goals for Turkish international Tuncay Sanli to score and was fortunate enough to find his name on the scoresheet thanks to a slight deflection. The bright start would signal Punea s title ambition in the second edition.

Mumbai City FC equalized through Frederic Piquionne in the 34th minute after Ashutosh Mehtaa s telling cross along found Piquionnea s well timed run in the box. Mumbai, growing in confidence, had come quite close a minute earlier with Piquionne finding Sony Norde, whose shot rebounded from the post. Both teams were level, when the half time whistle blew, but David Platt managed to turn up the heat on their rivals with a slight alteration to their formation. Tuncay and Israil produced a carbon copy goal of the first to give the team the lead in the 56th minute. Israil then scored a goal in the 68th minute to put the match beyond doubt.

Mumbai started cautiously, but with a squad consisting of such attacking talent they were always certain to demonstrate their class. Much against the run of play Pune managed to break the deadlock. A floating cross on the second post from Israil which found Tuncay, with acres of space behind the Mumbai defence, to head home from close range in the 12th minute.

In the second half, Pune City controlled most of the proceeding with Lenny Rodrigues returning to his natural position. Pune went ahead for the second time in the 56th minute. It was Tuncay who was again on the end of Israila s telling cross from the right. Mumbai City were still in the game but Israil sealed the match in the 68th minute. It was a fortunate goal as Adrian Mutu, introduced in the second half, found Israil on the right and his intended cross struck the outstretched leg of marker and sailed past Mumbaia s young goalkeeper Albino Gomes.

Mumbai City marquee player-cum-manager Nicolas Anelka introduced himself in the 75th minute but the visitors had left themselves with a mountain to climb in the last fifteen minutes.