The second semifinal of the 2015 Hero Indian Super League saw Chennaiyin host defending champions Atletico de Kolkata in Pune due to the flood in Chennai. However, the Super Machans were determined to win the first leg for their fans and did it in style on Saturday.

Chennaiyin FC took the lead through a brilliant free kick from Bruno Pelissari on the 38th minute and then doubled their lead in the 57th minute through an easy tap in from Jeje Lalpekhlua, and sealed the match on 68th minute after Stiven Mendoza completed the rout after dribbling past Amrinder Singh.

Both teams had made three changes, as Bernard Mendy, Zakeer Mundampara and Bruno Pelissari returned to the lineup for the Super Machans, while Ofentse Nato, Augustin Fernandes and Amrinder Singh returned for Atletico de Kolkata.

Chennaiyin were quicker of the blocks between the two teams and had an early chance in the 2nd minute, as Mendoza had two quick shots in goals forcing a save from Amrinder.

Atletico de Kolkata after their initial scare, responded with an attack of their own but the Chennaiyin defence held firm, and soon Atletico de Kolkata had to deal with two injury scares first to Augustine Fernandes and then to Borja Fernandes, who was eventually substituted for Dejan Lekic on the 42nd minute.

Having sustained the early pressure from Atletico, Chennaiyin responded with a few of their own attacks, but the attacker lacked the composure to see it through. Chennaiyin, though, did have to wait much longer, as Bruno Pelissari broke open the floodgates with a brilliant free kick as it went past an outstretched Amrinder Singh.

Chennaiyin had yet another opportunity before the break but Amrinder Singh stood tall to deny Mendoza as the goalkeeper reached first to the lose ball.

Chennaiyin begun the second half as if possessed and had quite a few opportunities before Jeje eventually doubled the lead after the young Colombian had done all the hard work to present the Indian forward with an easy tap in.

Jeje then went on to return the favour on the 68th minute as his aerial through ball set Mendoza free and the young Colombian went round Amrinder to score the third and final goal of the match.


Having conceded the third goal, Atletico de Kolkata went on an attacking overdrive to score an away goal ahead of the second leg of the semifinal but failed to alter the outcome of the match and have left everything to do for their home match.

Image Courtesy: ISL Media