Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has stressed that the Bavarian giants intend to keep Mario G tze for the coming season amidst rumours of interest from Serie A champions Juventus
With incessant reports linking Italian giants Juventus to a number of attacking midfielders throughout the summer – including the likes of Oscar, Julian Draxler and of course, Mario G tze – it is no secret that Massimiliano Allegri’s side would be extremely willing to add a player of the quality of G tze to their ranks during the summer transfer window.
The Bavarian giants are, however, insistent on keeping the former Dortmund star at the club this summer.
Rumminegge wants to give G tze ‘another chance’
The a 37 million man has not – it would be fair to say – quite reached the dizzying heights that were expected of him following his stellar seasons with rivals Dortmund under their former manager JA?rgen Klopp. The Bundesliga champions are, however, happy to be patient with the World Cup winner.
Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge was quoted by German magazine kicker (via ESPN FC) as saying: “We have so far not put any players on sale in the shopping window, and this also applies to Mario.
“Every player deserves another chance. We will give him that and will support him. We fundamentally are interested in having Germany internationals in our squad, that’s part of our culture. Mario is a Germany international, and a World Cup winner on top of that.”
G tze himself has not seemed particularly keen on quashing any rumours of a move away. In an exclusive interview with Goal UK earlier this month, he spoke of his willingness to try a new league and a new culture. “I think that Juventus reached the Champions League final not by chance but because they had a great season last year,” the versatile Bayern Munich attacker said.
“I think that playing abroad might be a good experience for me: new languages, new cultures. I might like it. But, as I said, I’m just at the early stage of my career. Let’s see what the future brings.”
Transfer to Juventus not out of the question
Given his uncertain role at Bayern Munich under Pep Guardiola, it is conceivable – if unlikely – that a transfer could happen this summer. Juventus have been relentless in their pursuit of an attacking midfielder, and after recently suffering a blow in their attempt to snare Schalke star Julian Draxler, it is quite possible that the Old Lady will come back for the Bayern Munich star during this window.
Particularly given that Chilean superstar Arturo Vidal is going the other way, it is unlikely that Bayern Munich will take a complete hard line stance towards Juventus in any potential negotiations for Mario G tze.
With Franck Rib ry and Arjen Robben both on the wrong side of 30, however, Guardiola will be reticent to sell the former Dortmund star despite signing Brazilian attacker Douglas Costa from Shakhtar Donetsk earlier this summer.
Bayern Munich kick off their season in less than a week with a mouth-watering German Super Cup clash against Wolfsburg on Saturday.