Harry Kane ended his goal-drought in spectacular fashion as the Tottenham striker’s hat-trick inspired a 5-1 demolition of Bournemouth on Sunday.

Kane had scored only once in his last 11 games for Tottenham and England and had just a solitary club goal to his name this season.

But he appears to be firmly back on track after destroying the Bournemouth defence at Dean Court.

Mauricio Pochettino’s side had actually fallen behind after just 49 seconds to Matt Ritchie’s strike.

But Kane led the fightback, equalising with a penalty before goals from Mousa Dembele and Erik Lamela put Tottenham in control before half-time.

Kane struck twice in seven minutes in the second half to confirm his return to form lifting Tottenham to fifth place and leaving Bournemouth hovering just above the relegation zone.

It started so promisingly for Eddie Howe’s Bournemouth as they took the lead inside the first minute when a cross from Charlie Daniels evaded everyone in the middle, with Ritchie arriving at the back post to score.

Ritchie’s early strike was cancelled out by Kane’s equaliser from the penalty spot after he had been felled by Bournemouth goalkeeper Artur Boruc.

Tottenham then took the lead as Danny Rose’s speculative effort deflected fortuitously into the path of Dembele, who coolly finished past Boruc.

Boruc did well to prevent Toby Alderweireld scoring the third when he kept out his near-post header but the Polish keeper’s afternoon did not get any better as he was culpable for Tottenham’s next goal on the half-hour mark.

Kane wriggled free on the left but could only hit a tame cross into the box.

However, Boruc failed to hold it and spilt the ball straight into the path of Lamela, who made no mistake.

Bournemouth were still creating chances of their own and were unlucky not to reduce the arrears just before the interval as Marc Pugh saw a scuffed effort cleared off the line by Alderweireld before Josh King hit the inside of the post moments later.

Boruc could do nothing to stop the fourth Spurs goal as Kane slid in to convert Christian Eriksen’s cross and put the result beyond doubt.

With Kane in search of his second Premier League hat-trick, the England striker came close with a rasping shot that Boruc turned behind, but the wait would only go on for a few more seconds.

The resulting corner was headed towards goal by Alderweireld and again Boruc could not hold on as Kane was on hand to score his third.

Eriksen’s fine effort came back off the post as Spurs pushed for a sixth goal.

Kane had legitimate calls for a second penalty turned down by referee Roger East as he looked to capitalise on yet another Boruc spill, with the goalkeeper catching Kane’s leg as he looked to recover.