Arsenal have received further injury blow as Mikel Arteta and Mathieu Debuchy have been ruled out for three months after undergoing surgery.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger’s injury woes don’t seem to cease as the Frenchman loses two more players through injury. The Gunners will be without duo Mikel Arteta and Mathieu Debuchy for the next three months as both players had a surgery for their previous injuries.

Club captain Mikel Arteta had a bony spur removed from his left ankle, which according to the club, had been causing significant discomfort to the Spaniard for months. On the other hand, defender Mathieu Debuchy, who returned to action after missing three months with an ankle injury, had an operation on the shoulder he dislocated during Sunday’s 3-0 win over Stoke City.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger on Sunday said that Debuchy’s injury was unbelievable.

“It’s very unfortunate,” said the Frenchman.

“It’s unbelievable because he’s had two surgeries in the same season. He just came back, he played seven games and he’s out again.”

Debuchy has played just 14 times since signing from Newcastle in July in a deal worth a reported £12m.

With Kieron Gibbs also out, recovering from an inflamed heel, 19-year-old Hector Bellerin or Calum Chambers are expected to make an appearance against Manchester City on Sunday.

Arsenal decided to send midfielder Arteta to surgery in order to maintain his long-term fitness. Arteta last made an appearance in the win against Borussia Dortmund on 26th November last year.

“He had limited mobility in his ankle and some persistent inflammation that had an impact on his calf,” explained Wenger.

“That meant we had to make the decision to have surgery and it’s a proper solution which gives him the best chance to recover.”

Since joining Arsenal from Everton in 2011, Arteta has scored 16 goals in 136 appearances for the Gunners.

With the duo being ruled out for a long time, Arsenal are expected to be more active than ever in the January transfer window. That Wenger intends to make a few signing in the winter is no secret and the Frenchman confirmed that the club are working to bring in a player or two.

“Yes we are more [in the market now],” he told

“We have Chambers and we have Bellerin, who is coming on well, and I want to give them a chance as well, but of course we are in the market like many other clubs.

“We work really hard morning until late night to try to get one or two players in.”