Security at the 2018 World Cup will be strengthened in the wake of this month’s attacks in Paris, Russia’s Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko promised on Tuesday.

The vow came after Russia’s 2018 World Cup local organising committee met with inspectors from FIFA.

“We discussed the problems of security in detail,” Mutko, who is also the head of the 2018 World Cup organising committee, told a press conference after the meeting.

“The security plan has already been approved. Taking into consideration the situation in the world security measures will be intensified.”

.

The minister said that security at the World Cup construction sites had already been toughened up.

He added that the fan zones at the 2017 Confederation Cup and the World Cup will be at the centre of the security forces’ attention.

Mutko said recommendations for security measures across Europe would be discussed shortly.

“It’s very important to apply these measures not just in a single country but everywhere,” Mutko said.

The November 13 attacks in Paris, which included an assault by suicide bombers outside the Stade de France during a France-Germany friendly, killed 130 people and left hundreds injured.

By AFP