Arsenal FC manager Arsene Wenger believes World Cup could affect the summer transfer window and how business will be conducted.
Arsenal are expected to spend heavily in the summer as they look to improve the depth of their squad next season. Reports suggest that Arsene Wenger will be handed over a £100 million transfer budget in the summer and already a host of footballers have been linked with a move to the Emirates. Arsenal are in desperate need of a striker and some more reinforcements in the midfield and defence – and Arsene Wenger isn’t shying away from Arsenal’s needs. But the Frenchman believes that the upcoming World Cup in Brazil can affect the transfer dealings in the summer and delay most of them till the tournament in over. This will provide a very small window for most of the teams to conduct their business and will make for a hectic last month of the transfer season.
“At the moment I have people around me who start to look [at players]. What is available you know always, but we are not on the market specifically at all because teams still play in many countries.
“After that, from my experience, the World Cup years have always been very quiet until the end of the World Cup, with no players reachable. Everybody is focused in the country on their national team and there’s not a lot happening. People are away.
“I believe this year again you will have to wait until July 15 to start going.” – The Arsenal manager said.
Arsene Wenger also revealed that there won’t be any whole sale changes to the squad as they strive to maintain stability. But he has assured the fans that the Gunners will strengthen their squad, not quantitatively, but qualitatively.
“It will be busy but the main thing for us will be to keep the stability because we feel we are close. We want to add something that makes us even stronger. But number wise it will not be massive.
“You have to be on alert. You speak about Ozil but if we could have done Ozil one month earlier we would have done it. But he was just available for three days.
“Why? Because the Gareth Bale story lasted for so long and they had so many clauses in his contract that they could not finish it.” – Wenger added.
While Arsenal look for newer addition, they have already tied down most of their existing players to long term deals – except Bacary Sagna and Lukas Fabianski. The duo are expected to depart from the Emirates at the end of this season, although Wenger still hopes that both the parties can reach an agreement soon.
“We have only two players who are out of contract – Fabianski and Sagna. All the rest need our agreement and they haven’t got it yet.
“I want to keep [Fabianski]. He’s 29 and has a decision to make. Does he want to stay here or move and have a guarantee to be No 1? He knows I want to keep him.
“I hope, because we have shown faith in him for long periods, that we will be rewarded for that.” – He said in his pre-match press conference.