Manchester United owner Malcolm Glazer Passes Away

Malcolm Glazer, owner of Manchester United and American football franchise Tampa Bay Buccaneers has died at the age of 85.

Website of Tampa Bey Buccaneers has confirmed his death by posting a statement. Malcolm Glazer purchased United in 2005. Under his ownership, Manchester United went on to win five Premier League title, Champions League and the Club World Cup.

“The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are saddened to announce the passing of owner/president Malcolm Glazer earlier this morning,” confirmed the website of Buccaneers. “Known among his league peers as a pioneering thinker, Glazer infused his team and employees with the determination and dedication to be the best in the NFL. Glazer’s commitment to building a championship organisation has provided the foundation for continued success, on and off the field.

“Mr Glazer’s long-established estate succession plan has assured the Buccaneers will remain with the Glazer family for generations to come. Linda Glazer, along with their five sons and daughter, will continue to own and operate the team as they have throughout the family’s ownership.”

Born in a business minded family of New York, Glazer ventured into his father’s business ofwatch-parts making at the tender age of 15. Later on, he went on to become successful in every other business he ventured into and he was a substantial shareholder of some of the most successful brands like Harley Davidson, First Allied, Houlihan’s Restaurants, Formica, Tonka, Zapata Corporation, Omega Protein and Specialty Equipment.

The death of Malcolm Glazer is expected to have a little impact over the functioning of Manchester United though. His two sons, Joel and Avram are currently running the operations of the club. Glazer family currently holds 90% of United shares while remaining 10% are listed on the New York stock exchange.

Official Manchester United website has also paid tribute to their owner: “The thoughts of everyone at Manchester United are with the Glazer family tonight following the news that Malcolm Glazer has passed away.

“Malcolm leaves behind his wife Linda, six children and 14 grandchildren. Staff at Manchester United extend deep and sincere condolences to them all at this difficult time.”

The biggest controversy of Glazer family’s ownership of United was that of rising debts which touched the levels of a £500m and was much criticized by the clubs’ fans. However, the debts levels were brought down later on and now, the club enjoys healthy financial condition and expected to splash a £150m on transfers this season alone.

However, not all the fans were happy with the ownership of Glazers. Andy Walsh, General Manager of FC United said: “The Glazers’ ownership of Manchester United is a product of the lack of regulation that we have in the game. Malcolm Glazer took advantage of that and his passing does not change that fact. The Glazer family still own Manchester United Football Club. The takeover of Manchester United caused a lot of pain in this city.”