Manchester United have recently appointed Louis van Gaal as their new coach and the club is expected to make a complete overhaul of their squad during coming transfer window.
The Red Devils are being linked with host of names across Europe and considering the deficiencies of this squad, most of these players are necessary additions if Manchester United want to remain in ever increasing competition of Premier League again.
From defence to attack, there are many holes in this ageing and ailing squad and new boss Louis van Gaal is going to have a monumental task in front of him once he takes the charge after the World Cup. Here, THT lists the players Manchester United must sign in order to challenge for the trophies again.
- Luke Shaw: If recent reports have anything to go by, Manchester United are the frontrunners for the signature of this talented youngster. Shaw has been the best player of Southampton this season and as a result, won a place in the England World Cup squad ahead of Ashley Cole. With Patrice Evra departing, addition of Luke Shaw will bring a world class replacement on the left side of the defence.
- Ezequiel Garaay: Both Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic have bid the farewell to the Old Trafford and United are desperately looking for a quality central defender. The 27 year old Argentina international is known for his marking ability and defensive instincts. The former Real Madrid star has got highest level experience which is required for a critical position of central defender and fulfills the necessary criteria required to become a successful player at Old Trafford.
- Kevin Strootman: New boss Louis van Gaal is a big admirer of this Roma player. With the likes of Machael Carrick and Maroune Falliani not able to dictate the terms of the game, Strootman is more than capable of doing this job. Strootman is a traditional box-to-box midfielder who is a regular starter for both AS Roma and Holland national team. Currently injured, Strootman is likely to regain his fitness in the early stages of the next season.
- Toni Kroos: The Bayern Munich star has been linked with a move to Old Trafford since January but nothing concrete has happened yet. Kroos has been groomed by Van Gaal during his days at Allianz Arena and the Dutchman is reportedly keen to bring him to Manchester.
- Cesc Fabregas: Although Manchester United have plenty of creative players in their ranks, no one is at the level of Barcelona star Cesc Fabregas. With Catalan giants planning a complete overhaul of their squad, they might be tempted to part ways with the former Arsenal star if any lucrative offer comes for him. However, Fabregas is currently going through a bad patch of his career and United will have to be careful to make any offer.
Louis van Gaal is going to have a very critical task in his hands once he returns from the World Cup and Manchester United fans will be hoping that the club gets successful in signing the players which are must at Old Trafford. Another failure to qualify for the Champions League will be a disaster.