FC Goa suffered a shock in their Super League campaign as they were defeated in their semi-final clash against Atletico de Kolkata, on penalties. The goalless first leg of their semi-final clash in Kolkata, perhaps carried a spirit of ‘playing safe’ in the second leg, held in Goa too. Both sides, although clashed swords, were safe in their approaches and neither committed men forwards. FC Goa dominated possession and had the better goal scoring chances, but like their usual self , even in the league, failed to capitalize on them. Atletico de Kolkata, meanwhile stood resilient to every Goa attack and thwarted their advances. With scores tied at nil-nil even after 120 minutes, the match progressed into the dreaded penalty shootouts. Andre Santos, missed FC Goa’s first penalty, and consequently amounted pressure on Zico’s team. A clinical display of spot kicks, saw Atletico de Kolkata defeating FC Goa in the penalty shootout.

Atletico’s fitness coach Miguel Martinez, revealed their tactics after the match. He said, ” “It is not easy to score goals. Of course, we would like to score five goals every match. Our strategy tonight was not to concede. It worked out in the end.”

Meanwhile marquee player Luis Garcia, who was substituted following an injury scare, expressed views on his injury.

” “I felt a little bit of a cramp in my hamstring. We need players who are at 100 per cent on the pitch and I definitely wasn’t after that. Besides, now there’s a big game in a couple days and I intend to be fit for that one,” he declared.

While, Atletico de Kolkata rejoiced, the mood was somewhat serene in FC Goa’s camp.

““The feeling in the camp is that of positivity. We set out to win today but that did not happen. It wasn’t possible to give this gift to the fans,” said Zico.

With this win, Atletico de Kolkata become the second semi-finalists of the Indian Super League, and will ram heads against Kerala Blasters, in the first ever Indian Super League final on the 20th of December 2014.