Swansea City manages to hold Arsenal FC to a draw as a bizarre own goal from Mathieu Flamini levels the score line in the dying minutes of the game.

This draw could possibly out of even grabbing a top-three finish as they are two points behind Liverpool and the Merseyside club takes on Sunderland later tonight and are likely to extend this lead to five points. Everton are also breathing down Arsenal’s neck in fifth place and if the Gunners fail to improve on their recent performances they might very well drop out of the top four and miss out on Champions League football next season.

Arsenal made a fairly bright start to the game by dominating possession and pushing Swansea City back. But they failed to create any good openings and it wasn’t long before Swansea got back at them and scored the opening goal. Neil Taylor jogged down the left wing and under no pressure he picked out Wilfried Bony with a pretty innocuous looking cross. But the Swansea striker managed to win the aerial challenge with Laurent Koscielny and his powerful header kept Szczesny rooted to the floor. The goal might have come against the run of play, but Arsenal’s lack of creativity when in possession came back to haunt them.

The Gunners pushed hard for an equalizer in the second half and once again failed to create too many chances despite dominating possession. That was until Kieran Gibbs decided to take matters into his own hands and after wonderful incisive run into the box down the left, the Englishman picked up Lukas Podolski with a lovely little cross and the German international turned it into the back of the net. Almost immediately from the restart Arsenal took the lead and once again Lukas Podolski was involved in the goal. Podolski picked out Olivier Giroud with a lovely low cross from the left wing and the Frenchman applied the finishing touches.

But after taking the lead Arsenal dropped off the pace and allowed Swansea into the game. It looked as if the Gunners will manage to crawl over the line with all three points, but a bizarre own goal by Mathieu Flamini levelled the score. Leon Britton’s initial shot was blocked by Szczesny, but the ball ricocheted onto the onrushing Flamini and deflected into the back of the net. This was another big blow following there dismal performance in the London derby against Chelsea and the fans are once again growing restless in the stands.

Arsene Wenger was disappointed with the “unlucky” result and rued the fact that his team went into a shell after scoring the second goal.

“It’s really unlucky but we have to focus on the next game now and live with the result,” the Frenchman told Sky Sports.

“They defended well, which all teams do now. We need to be patient and not concede the second goal which I thought we did quite well.

“In the space of two minutes we scored two goals but after that you could see that our drive going forward was less.

“We were possibly more concerned about keeping the score (as it was) because of what happened on Saturday but we were too conservative.” – The Arsenal manager said.