Liverpool went into deadline day with only one major target in mind- Ukrainian international Yehven Konoplyanka of Dnipro. The 24 year old was a summer target for Liverpool, but the plans for the winger had to be brought forward following the failure to sign another transfer target, Egyptian winger Mohamed Salah of FC Basel, who chose to join Chelsea instead.

Talking to the press in the pre-match press conference earlier yesterday, manager Brendan Rodgers refused to comment about potential transfer dealings, and when asked about Konoplyanka specifically, he said:

“The staff over there have done brilliant work with regards to trying to get the player.

“But we need to see how that develops over the course of the day. It’s all happened so quickly and the deadline is tight.

“We’ve had a list with a number of players on it, so we’ll see how it develops later.”

Liverpool’s managing director Ian Ayre had earlier flown out to Ukraine in a bid to complete negotiations and confirm the deal before the 11pm deadline. As time wore on without any updates, it became clear that even if the deal was to take place, there would be no time to get Konoplyanka over to Melwood to have his medical.

With time running out, suddenly there seemed to be a stumbling block – the agents involved in the deal were demanding more money in order to make things happen. This report came out on the official Dnipro website, and stated that due to paucity of time, Liverpool would not do a full medical, and instead make do with MRI’s of the knees, the ankles and the back of the player.

“In Dnepropetrovsk, negotiations are continuing on a transfer of the Dnieper leader Eugene Konopyanki in Liverpool.

Besides the financial aspect of the question in the negotiation process are trying to hook agents who have authorization to conduct negotiations on behalf of the Linnet, issued earlier Linnet father. Agents are trying to enter into a transaction and bite “piece of cake” in the form of agency.

At the same time he Linnet should meet with your doctor club for MRI. Liverpool does not insist on a full medical examination due to lack of time, but asks MRI ankles, knees and back.”

With time running out, reports were trickling in that this was a make or break deal for Liverpool, and fans’ frustration was reaching a tipping point.

Just then came the updates of a five and half year deal being agreed between the club and the player.

Just when all seemed done and dusted, new issues seemed to have cropped up, with the club showing unwillingness to confirm the deal from their end.

The lack of willingness to agree to the deal stemmed from the way Liverpool were looking to make the payment. Liverpool’s offer was based on certain conditions in order for Dnipro to get the money (€3m). Dnipro would receive a part only after Liverpool qualified for the Champions League, and another part after Konoplyanka made 50 appearances for the club.

Dnipro owner Igor Kolomoisky was unimpressed by this staggered payment and wanted the entire fee upfront subject to no conditions whatsoever. He requested the player and his father to remain at the club until the summer, and they, out of respect for the owner, agreed. As a result, the deal seemed to be off.

Despite the player agreeing to the move, the club refused to do business so late in the window.

People were getting restless with the deal being constantly on and off, and with just one hour to go until the deadline, the chances of a deal looked bleak.

Just as the deadline was over, there was utter confusion as to the status of the deal, with no one quite sure whether the deal had gone through or not.

Finally when all the dust settled after the deadline had passed, one thing was clear – Liverpool had FAILED to complete the signing of Yehven Konoplyanka from Dnipro.

And just to give a perspective of how the fans were feeling, this kind of sums it up perfectly.