Javier Hernandez is reportedly seeking a move away from Manchester United in search of more playing time. With the World Cup looming large on the horizon, the Mexican striker is looking for a starting spot, something that he has been denied at Manchester United for the past couple of seasons.
Brought to Manchester in 2010 from Chivas de Guadalajara, Chicharito as he is popularly known, established himself as a super-substitute under the keen eye of Sir Alex Ferguson. However, a change in command did not improve his standing, making only 14 appearances for the club this season, scoring two goals and providing two assists in the English Premier League.
A keen poacher, Chicharito established himself as a fan favourite in his first season at Mancherster United scoring a total of twenty goals in 45 appearances. But the subsequent emergence of Danny Welbeck from the youth-ranks and the high-profile transfer of Robin Van Persie along with Hernandez’s string of injuries relegated the Mexican striker to the sidelines. His appearances for the club dwindled as he played second fiddle to Robin Van Persie, Danny Welbeck and Wayne Rooney. His playing style too differs from the other three. While Chicharito is a complete striker, deadly in front of the goal, he doesn’t posses the ability to pass and develop the game like the others. A goal-machine, one who will thrive playing in front of a play-maker, Chicharito has struggled to gain prominence at Manchester United as the club prefers its strikers to sit deep, develop the play and score the goals.
Used mostly as an effective substitute in the latter stages of the game, Chicharito is reportedly looking for greener pastures to ensure that he is in fine form for the upcoming World Cup. Fast, agile and gifted with the natural ability to find himself in the right spot at the right moment, Chicharito will be a fine addition to most squads looking for an adept striker.
Rumours regarding his exit due to the lack of playing time surfaced in November last year after he retweeted a news article by Sky Sports in which fellow Mexican striker Carlos Vela said that Hernandez must reconsider his future at Manchester if he continues to find himself sitting on the bench. Vela urged his fellow Mexican striker in the article to think about his future given the fact that he is a brilliant striker who will be welcomed by other English and European clubs.
He is one of the best finishers in England and deserves chances under the new coach. If he plays regularly he will score, so I don’t totally understand why a player of his quality has not played more games. If he doesn’t play regularly he will need to think about leaving.
Carlos Vela says Javier Hernandez will have to consider his future at Man United if he does not play regularly. http://t.co/FiH5vu9WgN
— Sky Sports Football (@SkyFootball) November 3, 2013
With two and a half years still left on his contract, Inter Milan is reportedly pursuing the Mexican striker with Manchester United wanting at least £15 million for him. With a week to go before the window closes, it will be interesting to see how this develops for the Mexican striker.