With a host of Premier League teams in action yesterday, the Capital One Cup provided us with a variety of matches and styles of play. There weren’t many upsets to speak off, with the big boys doing enough to get through to the quarterfinals.

Shrewsbury Town 1-2 Chelsea

The hosts were in good spirits ahead of the match, and confident of an upset – going as far as to increase the stadium capacity with the help of temporary seating. With Chelsea playing less than 48 hours after a gruelling draw against Manchester United, the Shropshire side had every chance of pulling off an upset.

Alas, it wasn’t meant to be and Shrewsbury Town’s giant-killing run, wherein they collected the scalps of two Premier League sides, came to an end against a second-string Chelsea side.

But the hosts held their own in the first half which ended goalless. Chelsea needed a Drogba goal to get ahead, but an equaliser from substitute Andy Magan ten minutes from time kept things level.

And although the Blues needed a late own goal from defender Grandison to seal the win, the Shropsire side came be proud of their efforts in the match.

Liverpool 2-1 Swansea

Late drama at Anfield saw hosts Liverpool pull off a stunning win over Swansea despite trailing with less than 5 minutes to go. Marvin Emnes’ 65th minute volley silenced the crowd as the Swans took the lead.

Mario Balotelli, though, finally had his say this season. The Italian combined with Fabio Borini to level things for Liverpool in the 86th minute. Stoppage time saw Swansea’ Fernandez receive a red for his sliding tackle.

And deep into injury-time, the comeback was complete when Dejan Lovren was on hand to score off a freekick that Balotelli had drawn from Swansea.

Bournemouth 2-1 West Brom

Perhaps the only upset of the afternoon, but given how well Bournemouth played the result was fair.

The hosts had the majority of possession in the match, and went ahead in the 49th minute courtesy a goal from midfielder Eunan O’Kane.  West Brom needed an own goal to level the match in the 85th minute, but the joy of being level was shortlived.

Callum Wilson, a second-half substitute, scored in the very next minute as the hosts dumped the Baggies and marched on in to the last eight.

Fulham 2-5 Derby County

Craven Cottage played host to a thrilling 7-goal contest as Derby County smashed 5 past Fulham to cement their place in the last eight of the Capital One Cup.

Fulham led early on with two goals from Moussa Dembele, but a late penalty in the first half gave the visitors the lift they needed. And the second half saw Derby put a further four past a hapless Fulham defense to complete a sensational comeback.

MK Dons 1-2 Sheffield United

After demolishing Manchester United 4-0, this was expected to be an easy match for MK Dons. And they started well, courtesy a goal from on-loan Arsenal man Benik Afobe in the second half.

But there was late drama to be had, as Sheffield United rallied to score two late goals courtesy Michael Higdon and knock MK Dons out of the competition.

Tonight’s fixtures

There are three more matches set to take place today, 29th October. Newcastle take on Manchester City and Stoke take on Southampton in all-Premier League clashes. Meanwhile Spurs will battle Brighton for a place in the last 8.