Borussia Dortmund have lashed out at rivals Bayern Munich for making unwarranted comments about player Marco Reus.
Borussia Dortmund’s chief executive has accused his counterpart at Bayern Munich of deliberately trying to unsettle midfielder Marco Reus.
A statement on Dortmund’s website from Hans-Joachim Watzke released on Wednesday states that Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge’s recent comments about 25 year old player “is only going to further damage an already tense relationship between Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich”.
In an interview with the German newspaper Bild last week, Rummenigge was quoted as saying that the Dortmund player, who missed the World Cup with injury has a €25m (£19.8m) release clause in his contract. He also said in another (different) interview with ESPN that the midfielder is a “very interesting player” and that his release clause is “dangerous”.
In another interview, he was quoted as saying “I believe that it is difficult for Borussia Dortmund, [because of] the buy-out clause for Reus. The player has high demand among the European top clubs, regardless of Bayern.”
Naturally, his current club- Borussia Dortmund- are unhappy with the way Rummenigge has been openly talking about their star player. It in true that the two club share an intense rivalry and relations between them have not been the best since Bayern have taken away two star players from under Dortmund’s noses in two consecutive seasons- Mario Gotze and Robert Lewandowski.
Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke voiced his frustrated comments on the matter on the official website.
“Borussia Dortmund has noted with some irritation that Karl-Heinz Rummenigge is currently discussing internal BVB matters in a three-day rhythm in the media,” read the statement.“We are sure that it is quite clear to anybody interested in football what intentions lie behind such remarks. Karl-Heinz Rummenigge is also fully aware that his behaviour is only going to further damage an already tense relationship between Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich. Naturally as employers, we are going to continue to follow our principles in future and not discuss any details of our employees’ contracts in public.”
Reus is not expected to feature in next week’s Super Cup clash with Bayern as he continues his rehabilitation after his injury. He, however, remains confident about making his comeback soon.
“I’m even a bit ahead of schedule so [hopefully] it can continue like this,” he told the German newspaper Kicker.
Liverpool have been chasing a replacement for Luis Suarez since he was sold for £75m to Barcelona earlier this summer and Reus’s name has been doing rounds for a while now. Though he operate as a striker, but as an attacking midfielder or a winger, he possesses enough panache and potential to prove to be an able replacement for the Uruguayan. Reus is currently contracted with Dortmund until 2017.