Arsenal had to rely on a stoppage time goal from Danny Welbeck to deny Hull a victory at the Emirates Stadium.

The season is getting from bad to worse for Arsenal as the London club barely escaped an embarrassing home defeat at the hands of Hull City. A goal from Danny Welbeck in the injury time helped Arsenal secure a point from the game, leaving them 11 points behind league leaders Chelsea.

Arsenal were off to a good start as the Gunners were the dominant force in the first 20 minutes of the game. Hull City were laidback in their approach as they allowed Arsenal to create number of chances early in the game. Keeper Steve Harper was forced to make two saves early in the game, when the veteran kept out a Welbeck attempt and tipped over a curling shot from Santi Cazorla. Arsenal were successful in beating the Hull City defence when a low shot from Alexis Sanchez landed in the back of the net in the 13th minute.

Arsenal soon had the opportunity to double their lead when Kieron Gibbs burst into the box and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s follow-up was blocked. Minutes later, it was Arsenal’s turn to concede a goal when Mohamed Diame made a powerful run tearing the Arsenal defence apart a bit too easily and dinked the ball coolly into the back of the net. Arsenal protested furiously to the referee, Roger East, claiming a foul on Flamini during the build-up, but the referee showed no interest and the goal stood for Hull City.

Arsenal were off to sluggish start in the second half as Hull City were able to pass the ball around easily. The passing from the kick-off led the ball to Tom Huddlestone on the right wing. The cross went in and despite plenty of Arsenal defenders in the box, Abel Hernandez was able to pounce on the cross to head Hull in front.

Arsenal found it increasingly difficult to get back in the game as the time ticked on. The midfield and defence of Hull was rock solid as their blocks proved to be great barriers for Arsenal to breakthrough. The trio of Jake Livermore, Huddlestone and Diamé were impressively solid.

Halfway into the second half, Jack Wilshere had to come off as the midfielder suffered an injury after a painful collision with Gaston Ramirez.

As the game came to close, the atmosphere started getting increasingly uneasy at the Emirates. The home team were desperate to break through the Hull defence as Arsene Wenger looked stressed on the touchline. Arsenal came close to grabbing the equalizer when Alexis Sanchez glanced a fine header only to be matched by a superb tip over from Jakupovic, who had come on for Harper earlier in the game.

As the game entered stoppage time, it was Alexis Sanchez, clearly the highlight of the game, who provided a clever assist for Welbeck, who finished it smartly with his left foot. There came a few more chances for Arsenal to grab a late winner when Cazorla and Gibbs forced a save each from Jakupovic.

“It is a very disappointing result because we were very unlucky with the referee’s decision for the first goal.” explained a dissaoppointed Wenger after the defeat, “They had two shots and scored two goals but we had to keep going and that saved us a point in the end. It is a long time since we’ve dominated so much and not won the game. We tried our best and we can only look at ourselves.”