Sylvio Berlusconi finally sacked Clarence Seedorf today and has appointed Pippo Inzaghi as the new boss of AC Milan. This decision was long expected as the Dutchman failed to impress his bosses at Milanello during his short spell.
Some strange decisions made during the last transfer window was the key reason behind AC Milan’s struggles last season. Adriano Galliani had himself said after the sales of Thiago Silva and Zlatan Ibrahimovic that new Milan will be made up of youth players. Galliani made mockery of his own words during the last transfer window as not a single young, future looking signing was made.
Messimiliano Allegri too, did little to increase the confidence of fans and players as Milan were even struggling in the relegation zone at one point of time. Allegri’s replacement, Seedorf did perform little better than him but his efforts were not enough. Now, the appointment of Pippo Inzaghi looks the first wise step taken by AC Milan management after many days.
Pippo spent more than a decade as a player at San Siro and knows the club inside out. Inzaghi is the trusted lieutenant of both Berlusconi and Galliani, and hence; Rossoneri fans has got high hopes from him. Many changes are required to be made in this mediocre looking Milan squad and THT prepares the list of 5 players Pippo must sell to start the new era at San Siro.
1. Daniele Bonera: Not even Adrino Galliani can tell you why Bonera spent so many seasons at AC Milan. The Central Defender would not even have got selected in the primavera squad of Milan in late eighties. If Pippo wants to improve this leaky defence of AC Milan, he must sell Bonera first.
2. Phillippe Mexes: AC Milan signed Phillippe Mexes from AS Roma on a free transfer. The Frenchman was never able to show the consistency which is expected from AC Milan defender. Now, as Milan have already completed the signing of Alex and on verge of completing a move for Adil Rami, it is a right time to sell the stylish defender.
3. Michael Essien: The signing of Miachel Essien will go down as a big mystery in Milan’s history books. The Ghanian was far off from his best days when Galliani signed him from Chelsea. And as expected, Essien never made any positive mark in famous Red and Black jersey. Inzaghi must sell him to make the way for a promising youngster who can serve Milan well in years to come.
4. Keisuke Honda: Galliani signed Keisuke Honda amidst much fanfare in last December. But the Japanese midfielder has struggled to adjust to the style of Milan. Honda does not seem to possess the quality which is required at a big club like Milan and Pippo can get handsome returns through his sell which could be used to sign more suitable player.
5. Kaka: Kaka is the best player of AC Milan of past one decade. The Brazilian was the main architect of Milan’s Champions League victory in 2006. However, since his return from Real Madrid, Kaka is far from his usual brilliant best. Some MLS sides are interested in signing the Milan legend and Rossoneri could do well by saying good bye to their iconic player than to wait for another turbulent season.
The tasks ahead of new boss Pippo Inzaghi are monumental as Milan fans are desperate to get over these uncertain days. Only the time will tell whether Inzaghi becomes successful in his stint as Milan manager. But he must take some difficult yet necessary decisions in coming days.
Aforementioned players are not required at San Siro anymore and Inzaghi should try to replace them with talented and promising youngsters who can help AC Milan to get back at its glory days yet again.