Chelsea FC have been blown out of the race to sign Edinson Cavani after reports from Italy suggested that PSG submitted €63 million for the striker.

PSG Lead Chelsea In The Pursuit Of Cavani

The Uruguayan international is one of the hottest properties in Europe presently. Despite having two more years left in his contract at Napoli, Cavani has been linked with a lot of big European clubs in the recent past. The 26-year-old has been in fine form once again last season, and has scored 38 goals in 43 appearances in all competitions – which amazingly take his tally to 104 goals in 138 appearances for Napoli since he joined them back in 2010.

The Striker has recently stated that although he is happy at Napoli, who finished second in the Serie A last season and will participate in the Champions League once again, he will consider ‘important’ offers. The ‘important’ offers were expected to arrive from Chelsea, Real Madrid or PSG. Napoli president De Laurentiis had earlier revealed that he is aware of Chelsea’s interest, but it is believed that Chelsea’s initial offer didn’t match Napoli’s expectations.

De Laurentiis has insisted that the club won’t accept anything less than the €63 Million mentioned in his contract, something which has warded off interest from Manchester City as well. Cavani has recently stated his desire to move to a ‘bigger’ club and has hinted at a meeting with the Napoli president to clarify his future plans. In reply, De Laurentiis said –

“There is no need to have a face to face with Cavani.

“If a club offers €63 Million, then we would allow him to leave. The release clause will have been activated.

“Should we receive an offer, then fine. If this offer doesn’t arrive, then Cavani will stay in Italy with us.

Cavani has previously expressed his desire to play under a manager like Jose Mourinho and but it seems like he will now continue his career under new PSG manager Laurent Blanc. Reports in Italy suggest that PSG’s €63 Million bid has been accepted by Napoli after a meeting between the officials of both the clubs.

Meanwhile, Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini has also confirmed this deal and revealed that the 26-year-old is set to earn €8 Million a season at Paris.

“I have texted [Napoli president Aurelio] De Laurentiis to congratulate him on doing even better than I did [while dealing with PSG].

“He has outdone the €43 million (£37m) that we got for Javier Pastore when we sold him to PSG.

“De Laurentiis had to make this deal. He did well to say that he wanted a transfer fee like this.

“Cavani is a unique player. He couldn’t stay at Napoli because he has to think about his career and PSG are offering him €8m (£6.9m) per year.” – Zamparini told Radio Radio.

Reports in French media suggest that Cavani could be officially revealed as a PSG player on Tuesday. This could come as a big blow to Jose Mourinho’s plans as Chelsea have already lost out on Falcao earlier this summer, to another cash rich French club Monaco. It seems like they will have to fall back on their initial plan, and reports in English media suggest that they will now look to bid for Luis Suarez.

Meanwhile, this will be a big coup for PSG. If and when this transfer is completed, they can boast of having two of the best strikers in Europe, presently, in their squad. The pairing of Zlatan and Cavani will surely be the cause of nightmares for a lot of defenders across Europe next season.

Napoli are also favourite to sign Brazilian striker Damiao as a direct replacement for Cavani. The Internacional striker has earlier been linked with a move to Tottenham Hotspur, but the London club’s interest seemed to have gone off the boil in recent times.

Damiao’s agent Vinicius Prates has revealed that there is clear front-runner in the race for the Brazilian’s signature.

There is a club that intends to sign the player. The interest exists.” – Prates was quoted in press.

It is believed that Damiao will cost Napoli a transfer fee of £18 Million, which is nearly one third of what the Italian side will earn from Cavani’s transfer. Napoli manager Rafael Benitez is also said to be considering a move for Mario Gomez and Fernando Torres.