Manchester United seem to have signed another striker in Angelo Heriquez while rivals City eye Drenthe on a free transfer. In other news, Kone has joined Wigan as Latics look to build on last season’s great finish. Real Madrid renew their interest in Dembele after their Modric pursuit looks to be coming to an end.
United Close-in On Angelo Henriquez
THT Verdict: Many a media outlets have reported that the Chilean striker has had a medical with the Red Devils and the news has caught on like fire. Although United are rumoured to be long term admirers of the 18 year old highly rated prodigy, yet the over abundance of striking options at the Theatre of Dreams makes it a rather odd deal. Nevertheless, Sir Alex has often splashed out on a special talent deemed too good to miss out on even though United might not need him at the moment.
Furthermore, the quoted transfer fee of 4 million does make it a rather safe deal, similar to the one which United have often hit gold with in recent times with Chicharito being a case in point. It seems a done deal for what’s it worth, expect an official announcement pretty soon.
Man City Lead Drenthe Chase
THT Verdict: Former Real Madrid and Everton player Drenthe is on the radar of some big names if his agent is to be believed. Man City seems to be leading the pack followed closely by Inter Milan and Galatasaray. Although available on a free, City already have more than decent cover at left back in the form of Gael Clichy and Kolarov. Furthermore, Drenthe is known for his temperamental issues and it was his attitude that cost him a permanent offer at Goodison.
Nevertheless, City with their new cautious approach in the window might still be interested but one reckons they could do better if a left sided player is really what they need.
Theo Walcott On The Wishlist
THT Verdict: The Englishman had a decent season last term with his customary rapid runs followed by moments of indecision, although it must be said Walcott did show signs of improvement. Now the big guns have come calling as Theo stutters on a new deal. If the tabloids are to be believed, Inter Milan have joined Chelsea and Liverpool in the scrap to sign Theo Walcott from Arsenal.
Over at the Emirates, Walcott has stiff competition from the likes of young Oxlade Chamerlain and new recruit Cazorla and there are chances of him losing his starting place. Nevertheless, Walcott would most probably be a Gunner come August 19th and possibly pen a new contract as Arsenal look to finally challenge for top honors this season.
Arouna Kone joins Wigan
THT Verdict: The Ivorian was once on the radar of the likes of Arsenal and United, but his graph has fallen since. However, Kone is finally coming to the English Premier league albeit for the lowly Latics as a deal has been struck between Levante and Wigan Athletic to bring the 28-year old to the DW Stadium, reported to be worth €3.5million (£2.7m). Kone, Ramis and Miyaichi makes it an impressive window so far for Roberto Martinez, although he may be resigned to losing Moses to Chelsea.
Dembele Claims Real Madrid Interest
THT Verdict: Madrid have been thwarted away in their pursuit of Luka Modric and are now understood to be looking elsewhere for a midfield option. However, it is unlikely for them to go for a player who hasn’t proved himself at a big club. Nonetheless, if they do opt to bring the Belgian to the Bernabeau, he is most likely to find himself on the bench most of the time, under the shadows of the seemingly bigger names at the club as was the case last season with highly talented Nuri Sahin.
For Fulham though, it may be the right time to cash in for the maturing midfielder who is in the last year of his contract and is unlikely to extend it with clubs like Manchester United, Chelsea, Tottenham and now Real Madrid looking for his signature.
Other Rumours Floating Around
- Porto will take a call on Inter Milan’s offer for Alvaro Pereira on Wednesday. Chelsea were also said to be interested in the full-back.
- According to Guillem Balague, Liverpool are close to completing the loan moves for Nuri Sahin and Cristian Tello from Madrid and Barcelona respectively.
- Real Madrid have made a £25million take-it-or-leave-it offer for the midfielder, which is well below Tottenham Hotspur’s valuation.
- Liverpool are said to offer Martin Skrtel a new, improved contract in order to secure his long-term services.
- Danny Welbeck has been offered a new five-year contract extension that will fetch him £75,000 per week.
- David Pizarro has completed a move to Fiorentina as he becomes the club’s fifth signing of the summer. The player was on loan at Manchester City from AS Roma for the second half of last season.
- Gaston Ramirez has rejected a move to Tottenham after his agent confirmed that the player was offered low wages at the Lane.
- Manchester City have clinched a deal for 16-year-old French midfielder Jules Ntcham, fending off competition from Arsenal, Chelsea, Juventus and Inter Milan.