Liverpool land Moroccan winger Assaidi as the Brendon Rodgers’ revolution is in full swing. Newcastle continue to build on a strong season by adding depth to their squad with the acquisition of Vurnon Anita from Ajax. In other news, Barton could be set to leave QPR, while City have their eye on De Rossi.
Liverpool sign Oussama Assaidi for £2.4m
THT Verdict: Done deal. Assaidi becomes Brendon Rodgers’ third summer signing and this one has been kept surprisingly low profile. The Moroccan international was initially expected to sign for Ajax but Liverpool stepped up their interest and the 24-year old winger chose the Merseyside club.
The deal makes sense on more than one count; Liverpool badly need quality options down the wings and Assaidi is capable of playing on either flank, and moreover the quoted price of less than 3 million makes it a real coup. However, Rodgers does not view Assaidi as an immediate first-team starter but someone, who will strengthen the Liverpool squad.
Newcastle sign Vurnon Anita from Ajax for £6.7 million
THT Verdict: Official. Anita to Newcastle had been in the pipeline for over a month and looked inevitable. Finally Pardew has his man as the Dutch international makes the switch from Ajax to Newcastle. Signed to provide options in central midfield where the Barcodes relied heavily on Cabaye and Tiote last season, Anita can provide some much needed respite.
Great signing for the Magpies on all counts as the former Ajax player can operate as a full back and that too quite seamlessly if the need be.
Kyle Bartley joins Swansea City
THT Verdict: Another Gunner making the move and this time it is much less high profile with defender Bartley joining Swansea. The 21-year-old center back’s move to South Wales is believed to be for a fee of 1 million pounds ($ 1.57 million).
For Bartley the move makes sense, as it gives him an opportunity to gain regular first team football much needed for his development. Swansea too get an able center back at a throw away price. A deal that makes sense for everyone concerned.
Man City eye De Rossi
THT Verdict: It is believed that the Roma star’s representative jetted into the United Kingdom for discussions with City last night and the Italian could be on his way to Manchester soon. Now, City have been surprisingly quiet in the transfer window and this hasn’t pleased their manager one bit. After signing Rodwell from Everton, Mancini is looking to bolster his squad further with the acquisition of the Italian international but Roma are believed to be looking for a “monstrous bid”.
QPR give Barton’s squad number away
THT Verdict: Rangers have been very active in the transfer window and have assembled a decent enough squad. Joey Barton on the other hand must serve a 12-match ban to start the new season, after getting involved in an unseemly fracas in the final game of last season against Manchester City. The club has given away his squad number to new signing Ryan Nelsen and Barton doesn’t seem impressed. “Heard my shirt number’s gone to someone else. News to me,” Barton said on Twitter.
Indications of a move away from QPR are there for all to see and it seems Ligue 1 side Marseille could be Barton’s likely destination.
Other Rumours Floating Around
- Bayern Munich are moving closer to the signing of Athletic Bilbao’s Javi Martinez, although the Bavarians have denied rumors that the transfer is already done.
- According to the Mirror, Swansea are trying to sign Valencia winger Pablo Hernandez in a £5 million deal.
- Biglia is very much on Arsene Wenger’s agenda according to reports.
- Valencia striker Roberto Soldado has claimed that his club has rejected an offer from Tottenham Hotspur.
- It is believed that Bologna have accepted a £11.8m bid from Southampton for midfielder Gaston Ramirez.
- Jose Bosingwa has reportedly signed for QPR on a free transfer.
- Man United sign Angelo Henriquez.
- Karl Henry has highlighted the lack of loyalty, he believes is infecting the dressing room at Wolves by signing a new four-year contract
- Robin Van Persie undergoes his medical at Old Trafford.
- Norwich City have agreed the signing of Javier Garrido from Serie A side Lazio on a season-long loan deal.
- Louis Saha has signed for Sunderland.