Arsenal turn towards Mirallas while Tottenham continue to fire blanks in the transfer window. Chelsea are close to landing Wallace and Juventus look to pair Cardozo with van Persie. Manchester United are back for Axel Witsel. All these and much more in our daily transfer round-up.
Arsenal Turns Their Attention Towards Mirallas
According to Daily Mail, Arsenal are contemplating a move for Olympiakos striker Kevin Mirallas.
THT Verdict : As the Robin van Persie transfer saga drags on and is far from reaching any conclusion, Arsenal is busy preparing for life without their talismanic striker. Arsene Wenger is said to be interested in signing Kevin Mirallas of Olympiakos, who can play upfront and also on the wings.
Mirallas is versatile; moreover, he is a goalscorer. He was the league’s top scorer last season and was subsequently awarded the player of the season award. Arsenal will face tough competition from clubs all across Europe who are also interested in signing the Belgium international. Liverpool is said to be scouting him for some time now while CSKA Moscow has already seen a bid rejected for him. He is said to be valued at £6.4m by the Greek club, which looks like a bargain.
If Arsenal step up their interest in Mirallas, it will only confirm the fact that van Persie will be leaving this summer. If the Dutchman decides to stay for one more season, Mirallas won’t be coming to the Emirates this season.
Striker Conundrum For Tottenham Continues
Tottenham, who desperately need a forward, continue to see their potential targets slipping away.
THT Verdict : Spurs were looking to raid Malaga for their talented young striker Salomon Rondon, but it seems that they were a bit late in tabling a bid. Salomon Rondon has now officially completed his transfer to Rubin Kazan. The London club has already failed in their pursuit of former Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor as they were unable to reach an agreement with regard to his wages.
Yesterday, Times reported that Tottenham made a formal bid of £11 million for Internacional striker Leandro Damiao. In their report, Times have quoted Internacional president Giovanni Luigi saying “There will be offers for Leandro Damiao, no doubt about that. He has already rejected offers in the last few years”. But as it turned out, the quote was used out of context.
Internacional vice-president Luciano Davi has come out and rubbished the rumours about receiving any bid from Tottenham saying, “There has been no offer from Tottenham but there were offers that he didn’t accept. We are waiting for him to return before we decide what we are going to do. He is with Inter, but we are braced for any eventuality.“
For Spurs Jermain Defoe is the only senior striker in the squad and they need to address this situation quickly. The London club needs to be aggressive in pursuing their interest for the Brazilian striker as AC Milan is already said to be making a move.
Chelsea Close To Signing Wallace
According to Mirror, Chelsea are close to landing right-back Wallace from Brazilian side Fluminense.
THT Verdict : Wallace Oliveira dos Santos is close to signing for the European champions as the deal is expected to be completed very quickly. Sky Italia transfer expert Gianluca Di Marzio says –
“In the last few hours Chelsea have made their move. The deal is concrete because Chelsea already own 40% of his rights from the transfer of Deco. The plan was to take him to England when 18 years old, which he arrived at in May. Now, Chelsea are working to close the deal and to make sure of the young prospect, Wallace.“
Chelsea made their move as reports emerged that Napoli and Italian champion Juventus are highly interested in the defender. It is only a matter of time before this deal is made official.
Juventus Step Up Their Interest In Oscar Cardozo
According to Italian news agency A Bola, Juventus are now preparing a official bid for Cardozo.
THT Verdict : After the recently held friendly between Benfica and Juventus (where the Italian club were held to a 1-1 draw), Bianconeri representatives reportedly held talks with the striker regarding a possible move to Turin.
Chelsea and Everton are also reportedly interested in signing the forward, but his €60m buy-out clause is proving to be a hinder. Juventus though, are confident of landing the striker and pair him up with another potential new signing, Robin van Persie.
The buy-out clause in reality is only an eye wash as Benfica will use this to raise his price. But the Portuguese club in all probability will let go of their striker if an when a suitable deal is found. For Juventus, this could also act as an back plan in case they fail to land van Persie, who is also closely tracked by Manchester United.
Manchester United Back For Axel Witsel
According to reports Portugal, Manchester United are holding talks with Benfica for Axel Witsel.
THT Verdict : The Benfica star who impressed hugely last season is back on the radar of Sir Alex Ferguson. United have looked to strengthen their creativity from midfield this season and have already brought in Kagawa from Dortmund. But it looks like the Red Devils are looking for further enforcement.
Axel Witsel has long been linked with a move away from Portugal with Real Madrid, United and Manchester City all being linked with a move. Witsel has a €40m buy-out clause in his contract and though United will be unwilling to pay such a huge amount, Benfica is unlikely to budge for anything under €30m.
A possible deal, but Benfica’s asking price might prove to be stumbling block in any potential move.
Other Rumours Floating Around
- Saint-Etienne and Rennes are keen on 28 year old Argentine forward Fernando Cavenaghi, who is without a contract.
- According to Sky, Inter Milan 30 year old right back Maicon is not too happy about moving to PSG, as he would prefer a transfer to Chelsea or Real Madrid.
- According to French rumours, Bologna are interested in Mons 27 year old center forward Jérémy Perbet.
- According to Sky transfer market expert Gianluca Di Marzio, Lazio and Genoa are about to carry out the negotiation for a swap involving 27 year old Swedish defender Andreas Granqvist and 28 year old Argentine goalkeeper Juan Pablo Carrizo.
- According to Sky, Parma are interested in AS Roma 34 year old defender Gabriel Heinze.
- According to A Bola, Valencia are thinking about Sporting CP 23 year old Emiliano Insúa.
- Bayer Leverkusen have signed on loan the midfielder Michael Ortega from Atlas.
- 28 year old Argentine-Croatian striker Darío Cvitanich, last season on loan at Boca Juniors, has left Ajax to sign a three-year-deal with OGC Nice.
- 26 year old center back Raúl Albiol has extended his deal with Real Madrid until June 2017.
- Bursaspor have announced through their official website to have found an agreement with IFK Mariehamn for the transfer of 21 year old midfielder Petteri Forsell.
- 24 year old Irish midfielder Gary Deegan has left Coventry to sign a one-year-deal with Hibernian F.C.
- 18 year old Bosnian forward Marko Maletic has left Utrecht to sign a three-year-deal with Stuttgart.